Help Please Ducklings Drowning!!

GreenChic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
I went outside to check on my animals and I found all 10 ducklings in the water. 3 had already passed so I emptied the pool. Right now 3 are dead, 4 are alive and running around, and 3 are moving but barley. What can I do for the 3 that are on their last leg. I only left for a little while and left someone in charge but they didn't stay out there and watch them. I really need help now.

Make sure you keep them warm and dry thats about all you can do at this point.

They don't need deep water to swim in, I use a casserole dish for my ducklings - easy for them to hop in and out.

I hope those last 3 pull through.

They are all 4 weeks old. I had water for them and water for the bigger ducks. They usually didn't go near the bigger ducks things because the bigger ones bit them. I saw them throughout the day getting in and out of the water so I figured they were able to get out. One of the ducklings that was on his last leg is sitting up and chirping a lot. I put them in a basket and put a heater in front of them. The other two are breathing my still laid out. I really hope they pull through the kids will be devastated!

I had a similar experience, even though I thought I had enough bricks in their shallow pool that they could all get out. They were about ten days old and had started popping in and out of that little pool like pros. (I had just moved a couple of the bricks out that morning to give them a little more room.) It was a soul destroying experience. I also had three when I found them that were just barely clinging to life. I took them into the laundry room and rubbed them dry with warm towels heated in the dryer and put them under a heat lamp (at a safe distance). And watched over them like a hawk for awhile and all three made it back (eventually) -- prayers for yours!. And though my momma duck seemed to still know that she had lost a few, she was greatly relieved to have the three back.

I have a friend that is the most protective, kind, concerned animal lover I know and she lost three ducklings to drowning. I think she still feels destroyed by it at times to this day. We hear all the warnings and can't imagine how easily this happens to these little buggers that seem so at home in the water.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank You for writing that. I was feeling horrible like I was the worst person in the world. I was making vows to never get another animal if these three made it through. So far I have 2/3 that were on their last leg that are better. Thank you everyone for the great advice.

All 3 of them are better now. I just wish I got to the other 3 in time. I know I'm going to be the best duck mother from this point on. They are gonna get tired of seeing me.

Back
Top Bottom