help please..ducks in lock down..pip or crack??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, May 20, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    after candling I put any egg that might seem to have anything in it and left it in the bator.... I didn't candle real thorough but I can't imagine missing something like this. These are my first ducks to get this far. Do duck pips look like chick pips? I know that sounds weird but I have and egg that has what looks more like a crack in it. It looks like there is a pip area with out any shell falling off and a crack going out from the might be pip. The duck shells seem thinner than chicken shells so I was wondering if this is normal?? I don't see any movement but I am trying to stay away from the bator and not watch it constantly... technically hatch day is tomorrow but this could be an early one, I always have at least one chick that hatches earlier than the rest.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    this will be my 2nd attempt at ducks from our one pair of black calls so I really have my fingers crossed!!!!!
    oh and I tried to smell around and don't smell anything stinky so I am hoping it's not gonna explode!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Its prob a pip that cracked I wouldn't worry just sit tight...

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've only hatched chickens once, so I don't know what chicken pips look like. But I know duck pips can be anything from a teeny tiny little pinprick of a bump, to a fairly large circle the size of a pencil eraser. Sometimes they are oddly shaped or look like a crack. I certainly wouldn't worry--and it's probably a pip. Even if it's a crack for some reason, it won't harm the baby at this point. And if it's rotten, it will begin to seep a stinky, horrible, smelly liquid--if that happens, take it out right away! Otherwise, leave it in and it'll probably be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by