Help please. First time incubating on day 20

femalecbrown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Cloverdale, Indiana
Doesn't it just figure...I go for days without plans and then everything happens on the same day. We had to be out of town today which just happened to be day 20 of incubation. When we got home this evening, we had one egg halfway opened with a dead chicken in it. We didn't see what happened so I don't know if we need to be doing anything different. We have about 3 dozen eggs and now see one with a telltale small crack near the top. But, no movement at all from any of the eggs. We "THINK" we are hearing peeps (or is that pips?) but I am second guessing myself because I so want to hear it. My DH pulled the dead baby out so now I am freaking out that the lid came off...Any advice?

Well the damage is done now, but in the future if you have a pip DONT OPEN IT!!! The chick that pipped may get dried out and stuck in the shell. Being day 20, the dead one probably wouldn;t have survived anyways. Is your temp high? That is usually the reason for an early hatch.

ETA: The peeping you can hear before they pip - a pip is the first crack in the egg when they start to hatch. Zip is when they start marking it around the egg so they can pop out.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. Should I just keep everything going the same for the rest of the eggs? When should they be rocking and pipping? I don't want to give up on my hatch but don't want to draw it out if there is no hope either. You think a few more days would work?

I also would like to know the sequence of when they should be rocking and piping or peeping also. I am also on day 20 and have had 3 out of 17 rocking everyonce in a while but no peeping to be heard and no piping to be seen. I candled on day 17 and saw movement in all 17 so was getting worried when only 3 were rocking.

I wish I knew the answers to your questions cause then I would know them to mine.LOL

Lanae

I can honestly say I have never EVER seen my eggs rocking. They hatch, so they are fine, but I have only heard peeping once. I wouldn't worry if you don't experience these things.

I am so thankful for BYC. Everyone is so helpful and considerate. I am honestly thinking of taking off work tomorrow to watch the bator. I don't think I can stay awake any more tonight as it has been a long day with little sleep last night. Good luck Cashdl with your hatch and thanks debiraymond for all you words of wisdom. Keeping my fingers crossed...

My husband calls me the crazy chicken women because it seems everytime he comes in the room I am staring at the incubator or I have my ear pressed to it.

If I still went to work everyday I would so take the day off. I will be sending good thoughts your way while begging mine to hatch.

Lanae

Hi,
My last ones hatched on day 25 soooooooooooooooo??????????????
What can I say, Mother nature won again
wink.png

Good Luck,
I'm sure everything will be fine

Back
Top Bottom