Help please for a newbie! Hen has stopped laying.....

EssleyJane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Hi everyone
frow.gif

I'm new to chicken-keeping so apologies if this is a silly question!

I have a flock of five hens and one rooster, all around six months old. They are free-range during the day but are locked up in their house overnight.

A week ago I was very excited to get my first egg!! I had one egg every day for three days, then nothing on the fourth day. Only one of the hens is laying. In the evening of the fourth day, I picked up each hen one by one and gave them a worm tablet (I don't usually handle them much). We are now on day eight and I've had no eggs since the day that I wormed them. Is there something wrong, or do they not lay after being given a worm tablet? I saw a flat worm (still alive) in one of the droppings which is why I wormed them all. Not sure which hen so don't know if it was the one that is laying.

I've seen a hen sitting in the nest box a few times but there has been no egg. I've also seen the rooster mating with the hens, if that's of any significance! They all look well otherwise, they ferret around the garden all day and all the food is still being eaten.

Can someone help me find out what is going on? Or do I just have to sit tight?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sarah
smile.png

Maybe they're laying but hiding the eggs. Mine do that
smile.png
Lack of daylight, broodiness and nutritional deficiency are other options. More information such as whether it's summer or winter where you live (I'm in australia, lol) and what kind of feed you're giving them would be helpful
smile.png

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for the replies so far!

We are in Borneo, so its hot hot hot all year round!

The sunrise / sunset is also pretty constant throughout the year - it only ever varies by about 30 minutes at most all year. Sun up at 6am and sun down around 6.30pm.

I've fed them the same thing ever since they were chicks - corn and pellets (sorry, the packet is not labelled with what it is!) bought from the local supermarket (chicken supplies are a bit thin on the ground out here!!). Also they get any papayas that fall off the tree and any leftover rice from dinner (they love it!). They've had the same diet all their lives.

The garden is not all that big and the chickens tend to favour three different places to sit - I've checked all of these spots every day and there's definitely no eggs hiding :-(

I just thought it was really strange that she stopped laying when I gave the worm tablet.
hmm.png

Maybe she needs more calcium. I'd try feeding her oyster shell, or even eggshells from eggs you use (I presume you buy them?
wink.png
), and if that doesn't work maybe some protein? My birds are strange things. Sometimes they just stop for weeks for no reason, lol

Sorry to derail a little but OMG!!!!! You get papayas!!! I went to Malaysia in Dec and my grandparents have a huge tree. I finished like half of it the short time I was there lol I love tropical fruits
droolin.gif

Thanks Magicpigeon - I'll try the eggshells as I don't think we can get oyster out here.... do I grind them up into a powder? Or just break them up really small?

Haha yes we have two papaya trees - the chickens get the excess as I just can't eat it all myself!! We also have a banana tree, a mango tree, lychee, lemon, pineapple..... a proper tropical garden:D

Back
Top Bottom