Help please getting my Embden ( Abigail ) back on her feet

gazw66

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 22, 2012
Lancashire United Kingdom
Hi there everyone I am the proud dad of Abigail gabble Winfield a beautiful 2 year old female ebden who I have had from a day old chick . On Tuesday 11th December when letting her and her friends out of their night enclosure we noticed a dropped wing . I am fortunate to have a great vet and booking her in and on examination we discover she had broken her right wing 1cm down from her shoulder and the fracture had punctured the skin . Initially putting her down was mentioned but I said she doesn't need to fly so can we amputate if we can't save it . So the amputation took place and I collected her later the same evening . Remarkably she was standing and feeding the next morning and that was the same with the wound healing nicely until the Friday. When I let her out of the of her hospital cage she didn't move and a week later she still can't get up . We have been exercising her in the bath and whilst in water she uses both legs but can not stand on the right leg at all . We have been back to the vets and their is no sign of a fracture or dislocation of joints so it can only be assumed that it is a muscle problem . Now she is not moving she has also almost stopped eating I have tried most things but with no success . I am looking for any suggestions on getting her to eat please ( getting her back on her legs I know could be a bit of a marathon and I am prepared for that but only if we get her to eat first ......regards gazw66

I suggest you send a pm to celticoaksfarm... they have amazing knowledge - you will find their details on the goose thread.

Good luck with your goose!

Suzie

p.s. If you do not know how to pm I can do that for you... let me know asap

Great,, I see you have been in contact with CelticOaksFarm! I know that you will get wonderful help from them,

Good luck to you and Abigail

Suzie

I am so pleased to hear from you.... I do so hope that Abigail is on the mend now!

A Very Happy New Year to you and Abigail... keep warm it looks as if you are having some awful weather in the U.K. one of the reasons why I left there!

Suzie

Posted on behalf of Abigail :-

Evening to all my friends out there . Firstly I would like to say a really big thanks for all the well wishes I have received over the last few weeks .
It's been weird but I think I'm finally getting there . Mum and dad have had so much patience with me and at times I haven't been very nice to be around , both mum and dad have received some very nasty bites from me and at the weekend I was very bad and bit mummy's lip there was blood everywhere but fortunately for me they know I'm frustrated and after calling me a few choice names I always end up with a reassuring cuddle . I so love them ...... Dad built me a cradle to sit in but I hated it so over Christmas dad and mum have been trawling through forums and groups asking for advice on how to get my right leg working again . Dad found an American picture of a frame that another poorly goose was using after a bad break to his leg , this gave my dad an idea and he has been out shopping to all the places he gets his work stuff from and showing them pictures of me and what he wants to build . I bet the shop keepers had a good old giggle but dad came home and started to design a frame and after a few measurements and putting it together and then taking it apart and then back together again I think he is happy . We are just waiting for the glue in the feet to dry then I think I will be able to give it a proper test drive . I m so looking forward to getting outside with my sisters and Waldo tomorrow but I do hope Waldo behaves himself because the other day when mummy put me out for a bit of fresh air that dirty randy bugger Waldo took advantage of my situation ( he will have his payback when I'm feeling better again ) thanks again everyone but I'm going to sign off now because its still a little difficult typing with only my left wing ... Good night love Abi xx

Hi Abigail!

So good to hear that your Mum and Dad are looking after you so well!!!! Now that was a little naughty of you to bite your Mum's lip.....!!!! So you have been feeling "OFF" well we all have our problems to face! Now Mum and Dad are making you a cradle to help you.... do you think you ought to apologise for your bad behaviour...????

Mum and Dad are doing so well that you ought to lay them a huge egg to thank the for their wonderful care and concern for you!

You can always peck at the offending part of the anatomy of that randy gander who took advantage of your disability... when you are feeling 100 percent again!

Thank you for your post...now rest that wing... no typing until Mum and Dad give you permission!

Best wishes

Suzie
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom