help please! how to move a hen with some chicks, some eggs not hatched

zclight

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2015
i'm new to chicken raising. Please let me know what I need to do. My hen is in a nesting box in a large coop house. The nesting box

is about 5 feet off the ground. There is one rooster and one other hen in this coop house. (10 x 8) My hen has been sitting on about 10 eggs.
Two hatched last night. I need to move her to a separate area because I'm worried the babies will fall and I need to place food and water for them soon. Can I safely move her and the eggs and two babies? Do I try to move her at night or do I just move the babies? I know I should have moved her as soon as I realized that she was broody.

Thanks for any info!

Above is her and a baby in the nesting area. Below is the bottom coop area. (minus one rooster, he sold..lol)

i'm new to chicken raising. Please let me know what I need to do. My hen is in a nesting box in a large coop house. The nesting box

is about 5 feet off the ground. There is one rooster and one other hen in this coop house. (10 x 8) My hen has been sitting on about 10 eggs.
Two hatched last night. I need to move her to a separate area because I'm worried the babies will fall and I need to place food and water for them soon. Can I safely move her and the eggs and two babies? Do I try to move her at night or do I just move the babies? I know I should have moved her as soon as I realized that she was broody.

Thanks for any info!

Above is her and a baby in the nesting area. Below is the bottom coop area. (minus one rooster, he sold..lol)
Usually it is advised to make changes at night, I would definitely move her to a ground pen with her babies and the remaining eggs.

Thanks for any info!

I would keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't look like she wants to leave the nest. If she does you will need to move her before she jumps and hurts one of the chicks.
I would move her at night in a enclosed area on the ground so she can't get out. She will automatically stay with the 2 chicks and remaining eggs until the other eggs start to hatch. You can move her in the day but night is best.
Put a waterer and feeder in her pen close to her so she doesn't get up.
Do any of the other eggs have cracks in them? You need to candle them to make sure they are alive.
Some hens will leave the nest when chicks are still hatching or drying.
Hope this helps
If you have anymore questions just ask we are here to help
BCP

Thanks for the info. We left right after that post and just got home. 10 babies now! 5 eggs still under her, didn't realize there were so many! We will move her tomorrow night. She has food and water right in front of her. We moved the babies to a separate heated place where we have 9 four day old chicks we hatched from an incubator. Only 1 of the babies wasn't completely dry and fluffy. She definitely doesn't want to leave the nest. I'll check again in a bit for more babies. Not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom