Help please. Issues integrating

the confinement of all of them together is the issue .. id section off an area, and use food to direct traffic, to keep the groups seperated if you have to confine them. feed the older ones first, and then open the section for the younger ones .. they likely will be like that until theyre all sexually mature, then it will be 'less' brutal lol .. they probably still wont be friends ..its better to just leave it open so they can avoid each other if theres not a predator problem, if there is, id work on that .. a good pcp, and a shovel is in order ..

the confinement of all of them together is the issue .. id section off an area, and use food to direct traffic, to keep the groups seperated if you have to confine them. feed the older ones first, and then open the section for the younger ones .. they likely will be like that until theyre all sexually mature, then it will be 'less' brutal lol .. they probably still wont be friends ..its better to just leave it open so they can avoid each other if theres not a predator problem, if there is, id work on that .. a good pcp, and a shovel is in order ..
I have spent 2 hours every night monitoring them and shooting the big ones with a water gun. Tonight no one needed discipline! They also all hung out in the coop last night on their own for 15 minutes but I didn't leave them in there

Yes that's right
Well that's a tough one. I just re-read everything If they weren't able to free range, I'd say they were just stressed out because it would be generally a small space for them to spend their time for that many chickens. But obviously that isn't the case.

We usually get about 20' of total snow in the winter. When there's no snow, they are able to free range on more property that they know what to do with. Which becomes a problem in the winter because they are typically used to doing whatever they want. Something we do when we aren't able to clear snow for them right away is give them lots of toys and things to occupy them. If not, they can become aggressive toward each other.

Some of these are

- mobile dust baths
- hanging cabbage and fruit baskets.
- chicken swings
- butchered cows bones

Obviously, this is a hunch - but similar to our flock, I imagine they enjoy the free ranging so much that being confined anywhere after that irritates them and they lash out.

As soon as the chickens mature, you will probably see the bullying go away. But until then, I think you may just have to manage it.

Well that's a tough one. I just re-read everything If they weren't able to free range, I'd say they were just stressed out because it would be generally a small space for them to spend their time for that many chickens. But obviously that isn't the case.

We usually get about 20' of total snow in the winter. When there's no snow, they are able to free range on more property that they know what to do with. Which becomes a problem in the winter because they are typically used to doing whatever they want. Something we do when we aren't able to clear snow for them right away is give them lots of toys and things to occupy them. If not, they can become aggressive toward each other.

Some of these are

- mobile dust baths
- chicken swings
- butchered cows bones

Obviously, this is a hunch - but similar to our flock, I imagine they enjoy the free ranging so much that being confined anywhere after that irritates them and they lash out.

As soon as the chickens mature, you will probably see the bullying go away. But until then, I think you may just have to manage it.
The toys seem like a great idea. They divide into groups when free ranging.

Some of these are

- mobile dust baths
- chicken swings
- butchered cows bones

The toys seem like a great idea. They divide into groups when free ranging.

Costco. Costco boxes. you know the ones you pick up on the way out to pack your stuff.
I pick ones that are sturdy and some of them have 3 points of entry. Every couple of weeks I bring home new and replace the old. Chicken love to hang out in and on top of the boxes and gives little ones space that they need to eat , play and rest.

I have had my 9 week old chickens free ranging during the day for about a week now this was after about 2 weeks of them being in a cage with the 18 week old chickens. Things were finally calming down and we also extended our run to allow plenty of space for everyone. They all hung out together in the run for about 2 hours supervised yesterday. There was never any more than a peck here or there so today I allowed them all to be in the run for about 2 hours until the door opened. Well luckily my husband is home today and went out to check on them and one of the older chickens pecked one of the babies head bringing blood. He has coated her head in hen healer and given her some elecrolytes. We also brought her inside to rest. She's ok but I'm at my witts end with these older ones. They just seem like bullies. They have 2 food and water sources and plenty of room. I also junked up their run and nothing is working. Now I have a hurt baby. Is this hopeless? Do I need to consider selling my older flock? They are rhode island reds and rir mixes. I am to a point that I think they are just complete a$$holes. Now that they have tasted blood I wonder if it will stop. The older flock consists of 5 hens and one rooster. Believe it or not, the rooster is nicer than the hens are to the babies.View attachment 3497497
It was definitely my rooster who did the scalping. After a trip to the beach I let my injured chicken out when we got home to stretch her legs and before I could even realize my rooster charged her. She wasn't hurt thank God but he was kicked 3 times before leaving her alone. His days are numbered. Crazy how he has it out for this little bitty chicken. I put her in a cage next to the run while were cleaning up from being gone and he was even attempting to attack her through the hardware cloth. My husband smoked him with a broom handle again. Obviously he cannot co exist with her and I said from the beginning if he ever became a problem he was gone. He is good to my other girls and has even be doing fine with the other little chicken flock but he does not like poor Debra. Any ideas why he'd be this way with her specifically? She's timid. Always has been. Is definitely a pullet and is a buff orpington.

Back
Top Bottom