Help please. Issues integrating

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I have had my 9 week old chickens free ranging during the day for about a week now this was after about 2 weeks of them being in a cage with the 18 week old chickens. Things were finally calming down and we also extended our run to allow plenty of space for everyone. They all hung out together in the run for about 2 hours supervised yesterday. There was never any more than a peck here or there so today I allowed them all to be in the run for about 2 hours until the door opened. Well luckily my husband is home today and went out to check on them and one of the older chickens pecked one of the babies head bringing blood. He has coated her head in hen healer and given her some elecrolytes. We also brought her inside to rest. She's ok but I'm at my witts end with these older ones. They just seem like bullies. They have 2 food and water sources and plenty of room. I also junked up their run and nothing is working. Now I have a hurt baby. Is this hopeless? Do I need to consider selling my older flock? They are rhode island reds and rir mixes. I am to a point that I think they are just complete a$$holes. Now that they have tasted blood I wonder if it will stop. The older flock consists of 5 hens and one rooster. Believe it or not, the rooster is nicer than the hens are to the babies. 20230507_190740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom