integration support?

Thanks for the photos. You really don't have enough clutter that's large enough to visually break line of sight. The bigger problem is it looks like both runs are narrow (one is 3.5'? what is the other?), which is an issue because birds have a personal bubble of around 5-6'. So as you can imagine, if the run is narrower than that, it gives lower ranked birds zero space to get by without the higher ranked bird taking offense. They're initiating a chase simply because they can't squeeze by.

For a fully integrated flock maybe that's not much of an issue, but with integration, it's probably the main reason you're seeing chases and cornering. There really is nowhere for the bullied bird to go to get relief.

Is there any way to expand the original run to contain both run halves as a single wider run?

Thanks for the photos. You really don't have enough clutter that's large enough to visually break line of sight. The bigger problem is it looks like both runs are narrow (one is 3.5'? what is the other?), which is an issue because birds have a personal bubble of around 5-6'. So as you can imagine, if the run is narrower than that, it gives lower ranked birds zero space to get by without the higher ranked bird taking offense. They're initiating a chase simply because they can't squeeze by.

For a fully integrated flock maybe that's not much of an issue, but with integration, it's probably the main reason you're seeing chases and cornering. There really is nowhere for the bullied bird to go to get relief.

Is there any way to expand the original run to contain both run halves as a single wider run?
I just measured and both runs are just under 4ft wide. The section under the coop is about 3.5 wide. There is unfortunately no way to make them one run, as the second one is between the contained run and our fence between us and a neighbour, and there are trees there so I can't make it predator proof nor cover it. I couldn't sleep last night at all just worrying and stressing about this, as it's getting colder and winter will be here in less than 6 weeks. I am feeling so down about this and strongly considering rehoming these sweet girls to my friend up the road who has a lot more space for integration and six other pullets around the same age. :(

I just measured and both runs are just under 4ft wide. The section under the coop is about 3.5 wide. There is unfortunately no way to make them one run, as the second one is between the contained run and our fence between us and a neighbour, and there are trees there so I can't make it predator proof nor cover it. I couldn't sleep last night at all just worrying and stressing about this, as it's getting colder and winter will be here in less than 6 weeks. I am feeling so down about this and strongly considering rehoming these sweet girls to my friend up the road who has a lot more space for integration and six other pullets around the same age. :(
Unless it's arctic temperatures I wouldn't worry about the cold. But the fact that the younger birds still cannot interact safely with the older ones is a more immediate issue since they need to be able to eat and move around without being chased constantly. You could try temporarily just cluttering the heck out of the run space you do have (drag in large empty pots, patio furniture, other yard junk), and adding a lot more feeders (something as simple as large ramekins or cat food bowls works) to see if you can get them comfortably moving around each other, and then decreasing that over time if it seems to help, but I don't know how it'll go long term since the run width is still going to be somewhat restrictive.

If your friend has the space to rehome these birds to, at least you have that option if all else fails.

I agree with breaking up the line of sight. It can help stop the big girls from perseverating on chasing the younger ones and help them refocus their attention on other hobbies like scratching & dust bathing. I find it’s most helpful in the middle spaces of the run. I have used overturned chairs, a piece of plywood propped up against the wall that they can walk behind, You can even use cardboard to make false walls. It doesn’t need to be permanent. You just have to break the habit of the older girls wanting to constantly chase the younger ones. (They will continue to harass them- you just want it to not be constant).

Also be sure to provide the older girls with extra stimulation while in the run with the youngsters to encourage them to find other hobbies. Good luck!

I agree with breaking up the line of sight. It can help stop the big girls from perseverating on chasing the younger ones and help them refocus their attention on other hobbies like scratching & dust bathing. I find it’s most helpful in the middle spaces of the run. I have used overturned chairs, a piece of plywood propped up against the wall that they can walk behind, You can even use cardboard to make false walls. It doesn’t need to be permanent. You just have to break the habit of the older girls wanting to constantly chase the younger ones. (They will continue to harass them- you just want it to not be constant).

Also be sure to provide the older girls with extra stimulation while in the run with the youngsters to encourage them to find other hobbies. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I've been trying some new things but they still are not keen to even be close. Head hen even will run all the way across the yard when they're out free ranging to attack one of the babies if she sees them eating. I have spoken to my friend, a fellow chicken lover, and if things aren't getting better by the end of the week she will take them. I will help her set up a space for them and they'll have an older turkey friend until they're integrated with her other 6 pullets the same age. She has a lot of space and fields and runs so she's confident they'd fit in just fine. It eases my mind but I still wish they worked out with my ladies. They're such sweet docile little girls.

Back
Top Bottom