Help please! Ladder question...trying to finish coop, getting my ladies tomorrow!

521collective

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello!

I am in the process of finishing my coop. It is raised about 32" off the ground, and it is about 3 1/2'x7' give or take a few inches. I am enclosing the bottom with chicken wire, but there is a gate on one end so I can let them out to graze, or choose to keep them in the enclosed area. Because of that, I want the ladder under the coop, rather than going out of the side. I am limited, because if I do it at the end, the ladder will lead up, and end by the wall so they will have no room to get up. Will this be an issue, or will they fly in? Is a 12"x12" hole big enough? Any suggestions on a 2 "flight" ladder or 2 stage ladder (first half up, then landing, then second half up in another direction)? I am just at a loss for what to do here. I was planning on using shavings, and to keep them from falling out every time, I was going to frame out the hole with a 2x4...any suggestions on that?

Thanks in advance!

Like this? They get up and down just fine. :) Climb a little...fly a little...they're pretty good at getting what they want. I saw one fly up to try and catch a black fly that was in the run the other day.

I am going to pick them up tomorrow, and won't know what breeds I will end up with until I pick them out. The breeder has 12 different breeds, and I can only choose 4 due to zoning laws. None will be bantams. How big should the hole be for a regular size chicken?

Back
Top Bottom