Help, please! Lethargic chicken, I think she will die

Embuck

Songster
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
One of the newer, younger hens has developed symptoms today. Two hens have previously developed similar symptoms and both died fairly peacefully within a week or two. She is very lethargic, and just listless. While still interested in the treats this afternoon, she left the frenzy early and wandered off to settle down. I know however, that she will shortly cease to eat, and that her comb will turn purple, as happened to the other two. I would mainly like to know what has happened to her, whether it is possible to cure her, whether it is a contagious disease, and whether it can be prevented. Thanks.

You mentioned newer hens,how far after introducing new hens have deaths started? Reason i am asking is you could have a Coccidiosis outbreak/overload.

Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract. It is spread by droppings which get into fed/water via droppings,it is initially contracted from either bringing in new birds or new birds contracting from existing birds/wild birds/our own hands/clothes/shoes/feed utensils/etc.birds are only immune to to strains they have had prior exposure to. Coccidiosis can kill very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat.

Symptoms of coccidiosis are :runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL birds for 5-7 days,DO NOT give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water is the only source of drinking water,

What are all of the symptoms of the this and the chickens that have died? That will give us a better idea of what it is. Coccidiosis is very, very common when adding new chickens. A chicken necropsy should be done by your state vet if another chicken dies. A refrigerated, not frozen body can be shipped for necropsy. If you are in the US, here is a link to finding a state vet: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml

We got these new chickens about a year and a half ago. One, New Moon, died within the first couple of months, showing the same symptoms as this one. A second, Henhen, one of our older hens, died some two or three months ago.The symptoms of fluffed feathers and lethargy match, but she is still eating (sort of) and I haven't looked at her poos. I do know one thing though; whenever she found a really watery poo, she would immediately drink it.
sickbyc.gif

Also the first one sort of lost control over her wings the night before she died;
I'm not sure if you can tell because the angle is really bad, but her wing is sort of flopped over the other chicken's lower back and tail. I wish her face was visible. I don't know if the same thing happened with Henhen, we were out for the day when she died.
Here is the current one, Sunrise,
she looks about the same as then (the pisture is probably about a year old), but her feathers are fluffed out more, I would almost think, looking at this old picture, that her neck seems a little swollen right below the wattles. She hasn't laid many eggs this year, but they just came out of a molt.
I just remembered a third hen who died of this, Cordelia, about two months after New Moon. She had the same symptoms, and died within a week. No one who died like this had laid an egg at least two weeks prior to the catastrophe.
BTW, I can hardly believe that's Sunrise. She's a lot darker now!

Last edited:
Erhh...
Well, I went out to collect the eggs and take a look at the Sunrise. Sunrise races and greets me at the gate, then follows me into the house, begging for treats. Her neck swelling has gone down, and she's bubbling over with vitality. Does anyone here know if chickens go intermittent the way motors sometimes do? If she does she keep me jumpy for weeks.
hide.gif

I'd still like to know what killed the other three, and how to prevent/cure it for the future.

Hey I have some chicks in my home till old enough to go outside. I clean the cages daily, and handle themm for a few minutes each. 1of my newest 1 week old bantams has always been easily handled. This morning she's lethargic, I can roll her on her back and mess w/her feet. She won't stand up much and halfheartedly chirps. I'm gonna loose her aren't I?

Hey I have some chicks in my home till old enough to go outside. I clean the cages daily, and handle themm for a few minutes each. 1of my newest 1 week old bantams has always been easily handled. This morning she's lethargic, I can roll her on her back and mess w/her feet. She won't stand up much and halfheartedly chirps. I'm gonna loose her aren't I?
You might do better to start your own thread about it so you can receive feed back specific to your chick/situation and Embuck can have the same here in this thread - when situations start mixing it can lead to confusion on the part of those asking the questions and those trying to answer them.

Back
Top Bottom