Help please looks like call duck egg in trouble.

missy5

Songster
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Need Help. I think my call duck has had too much humidity. I think he is too wet. He's not shrink wrapped i don't think because the skin was coming off fine when he was breaking through the shell. he seems to look like he's wrapped tight likeskin around him. I know it's not the membrain or what ever it's called. Of corse it's my first hatch. He sounds like he's having trouble breathing. What can i do. I took more shell off and he doesn't seem to be getting enough air. He's breathing real heavy. I bought a new thermometer and what ever the other one is called. I was right the other one was not working right. All of my eggs look like they might have had to much humidity from the begining. Help please. This is nerve racking, i've been in this room all day. Thanks, i must sound a little crazy.

I am sorry nobody has replied to your question yet-most people were probably sleeping. How is your duckling doing? I would gently and slowly break away some of the shell and membrane so you can see inside. That will tell you what you need to know. Use a warm, damp Q-Tip or paper towel, and be sure to stop if it starts bleeding! A little blood is normal, but heavy bleeding means you tore a vein which can cause death. If you see blood in the veins of the membrane, wrap the egg loosely in a damp paper towel (with the head showing) and put it back in the incubator. It needs to absorb the yolk before it hatches, and then the veins will dry up.

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I realize some people sleep at night, lol, i'm one of them but last night after 3 am. i set my alarm for every hour until 7 am. she was finaly out. I must have sounded crazy at the time you read this. I'm pretty tiered but i'm so happy she mad it. This is my first time using a bator and they are call ducks. Didn't know how difficult the breed was to hatch till after i set them. I also have them stagared a week apart in the bator, i was told that was ok. Only one more for this batch and i hope it makes it cause i don't want a lone duckling, (thats just sad). Eight next week and eight the week after and then six. Out of the first four just the two made it this far. I will give the other one a few days still. Here's a pic of mom and dad, and baby of corse.
68014_camera_pics_422.jpg

68014_duck_eggs_hatch_043.jpg

68014_duck_eggs_hatch_048.jpg

YEAH!!!
big_smile.png
I'm so glad the baby made it! So cute! Best wishes on the last one! I have never tried calls, but I have heard they are difficult to hatch. I hope your next batches turn out much better! Incubating is fun, but it definitely is a challenge! One thing that is nice, though, we do learn from our mistakes and hopefully won't repeat them! What kind of incubator do you have? I started with a borrowed still-air Little Giant and moved up to a Hovabator that my sister gave me two years ago. My hubby built one out of a retired Coleman car refrigerator that never seemed to keep very cool. It works great and I love it! I just (finally!) got my Brinsea Octagon20 Eco on sale for $99 and I am so glad I did! It keeps perfect temperature, is very compact, and is STURDY! I have been using it for my hatcher. Keep us posted on the rest of your hatches!
big_smile.png

It is a borrowed hovobator. I'm candeling the others tonight. This little girl needs a friend. When do i start feeding and watering her? I'm worried she will fall in her food cause she is so wobbly.

Quote:
They are good for 24-48 hours, if the yolk has been absorbed.
Put paper towels down in your brooder on top of wood chips-until she learns that woodchips are not food. Then you can sprinkle food on top of the paper towels. You also should probably fill the waterer with marbles too, to prevent drowning.

Back
Top Bottom