Help, please: lump under chick’s beak

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Tame Emu Guy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Six-month-old chick. Otherwise hungry and energetic. There is, under its beak, a round lump about a half the size of a bantam’s egg. Chick is under constant general observation, so I suspect the lump has come up fast.

Supreme Emu

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Could be an access or sting. Is this a wild Emu chick? if its acting fine and eating just keep an eye on it...although I'm not sure what you could do. If access you'd need to somehow apply a drawling save......

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  3. Tame Emu Guy

Hi, Emu Hugger.

Yes, abcess and sting came to mind, and that's good because 'tumour!' was my first thought.

Thank you for your advice.

S.E.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Dang spell check....... I ment abcess.
    Those two inflictions would be the most common in a young bird. They are always sticking beaks where they shouldn't and an abcess from thorn...stick etc....or even a tick or insect bite. If drawling save needed to be applied..if the bird liked wheat.....you could lather the rim of a.dish with save and put it at a height that the bird slid that area over it when scooping up the food......????

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. Tame Emu Guy

E.H., your suggestion is nothing less than brilliant.

And your advice put me at ease. In my ignorance, it was 'tumour' that came to mind. But if I had been more knowledgeable (and calmer), I'd have realised 'sting' was a real possibility. Of course! That's exactly where a bird would get stung by a bee!

I think the swelling is already abating. Details soon. Thank you, thank you.

S.E.

6. How is he?

7. Tame Emu Guy

Thank you, B.W.

Just returned from the city this afternoon. The lump is quite gone. E.H. was probably right: insect sting.

S.E.

8. Yay! : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by