1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please my chick has a bleeding cut on its foot.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bmludwig, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bmludwig

bmludwig New Egg

Apr 25, 2008
    I have four 3 week old chicks one:( has a cut on it's foot and keeps pecking at it. Should I treat it with something or leave it be?javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I'm assuming they're still in a brooder. If you aren't already, a red bulb in your heat lamp will make the cut less noticeable so they'll be less likely to pick at it. I don't really have any ideas as to what to put on it. I know that air will heal it quick as anything, but you can't have it getting pecked at.

There are a lot of very experienced people on here and I'm sure someone else will chime in with the perfect fix [​IMG]

Also, is it the other chicks pecking at it, or the hurt chick itself?

3. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    have heard that alot of people use baking soda or flour and water to clog it if it is bleeding bad. some people use duct tape to cover chicken cuts. me personally ... i have never had to do any of this. But this is the talk that i hear.

4. bmludwig

bmludwig New Egg

Apr 25, 2008
    Thank you I will try the red light and baking soda.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by