Help Please- my chick is 8 weeks old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by @FendiChick, Nov 25, 2010.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    Within the last few days she got this mottled look to her- is she just growing new feathers or is something wrong with her? She was on the medicated food and I just switched her to growing up food. We live in Miami. Thank you for any advice. She's the sweetest girl.
    [​IMG][/img]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like she could be pecked? have you looked her over real good for lice or mites? or she could just be getting her new feathers in is she eating and drinking good?

3. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    She is the only one so nobody's pecking her- yes, she is eating and drinking normally. I checked for mites but I can't see a thing, I am so worried- thank you for your response.

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It just looks like a chick in that ugly "tween" stage to me. I would say that it's a rooster, judging by the size and color of comb at 8 weeks.

5. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Uh oh I was really hoping she was a she! But I'd just be happy to know that there isn't anything wrong with her. Thank you - I will continue to watch her and inspect her area. I didn't detect any type of mites or bugs when I inspected it today. Thanks again.

6. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    I've got a hen, full grown, that got some weird redish tint to some of her feather. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. Not too long later, she grew in some purple colored feathers. No idea why.

Hope your chick is just getting new feathers in. He's a cutie

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Looks like a normal transformation from fuzzy little chick to feathered out pullet. You may get some interesting colors on your bird as it feathers out.
    Here's an example of how they can change appearances:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I think it's mites. See how chewed-up the primary feathers are, so you can see right through them? I agree that baby roosters often look patchy as they grow in, but the feathers should be strong and opaque.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  9. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    First of all- thank you so much. I realize it could be a few different things so to cover all bases, I cleaned out her area reallly well and then bought some 5% sevin dust, sprinkled it down and rebuilt her area with hay. She has never stopped acting normal- it's just the feathers. I also put the electrolyte/vitamin powder in her water and switched her back to the medicated food- I had changed to the flock raiser food about a week ago but the woman at the feed store told me I could leave her on medicated until she was 12 weeks old. I am hoping one of these things helps her. I also still hope she's a she. I will update if anything new happens. Thank you again- this community is such a life saver and nerve calmer.:)javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

10. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    maybe you could get she/he a friend? I am 100% not for treating chickens as humans, many, many, many people treat their chickens according to how they feel themselves (temps, in doors etc) but one thing i know for sure is that Chickens like the company of other chickens, so, if you have space for one, i am sure you have space for just one more? Go on, you know you want to.....!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by