Help please, my chicken's leg trapped into rat trap and it's swollen

Ptameh

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
Help please, my chicken's leg trapped into rat trap and it's swollen

Please advise, I called 9 animal hospitals and non take chickens. The only Vet around my place are closed and they visit by appointment only. My chicken doesn’t put its leg down and it’s swollen. What should I do until I take it to a vet?

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
thank you for answering it's heartbreaking. I don't feel it's broken but it's injured. it doesn't put its leg down. I have no idea what to do over night. should I rap its leg?

thank you for answering it's heartbreaking. I don't feel it's broken but it's injured. it doesn't put its leg down. I have no idea what to do over night. should I rap its leg?
Oh that's good! At this point I would not wrap it. I would isolate her in a kennel to minimize movement and keep her warm. Push fluids with vitamins and electrolytes if you can. Hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury but will take time to heal. For swelling you can soak the leg in epsom salt water daily. Is she eating and drinking ok?

Oh that's good! At this point I would not wrap it. I would isolate her in a kennel to minimize movement and keep her warm. Push fluids with vitamins and electrolytes if you can. Hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury but will take time to heal. For swelling you can soak the leg in epsom salt water daily. Is she eating and drinking ok?
yes, eats and drinks normal, even tries to join the rest and walk around but it can't. Thanks for your advice I was going to wrap it.

yes, eats and drinks normal, even tries to join the rest and walk around but it can't. Thanks for your advice I was going to wrap it.
That's wonderful! I would definitely separate her for now to keep her from moving about too much and to keep the rest from picking on her. There are most likely tendons involved which are very painful and take a long time to heal. Pain is good. It tells her to take it easy so she can heal. However she can have aspirin at a dose of 25mg per lb if you feel the pain is too much.

That's wonderful! I would definitely separate her for now to keep her from moving about too much and to keep the rest from picking on her. There are most likely tendons involved which are very painful and take a long time to heal. Pain is good. It tells her to take it easy so she can heal. However she can have aspirin at a dose of 25mg per lb if you feel the pain is too much.
thanks a million you helped me so much, I was going crazy. I appreciate your time very much

OK. I'm completely humiliated to admit this happened in my chicken yard too.

It was a very young chick (probably around 8wo). I was able to let her out of the trap but she took off and I couldn't get her. As you say, she swelled up and wouldn't put any weight on her foot for a couple weeks but she was fast enough to get away from me when I tried to get her and examine her.

Perhaps we're both lucky that she was so young and growing fast. In relatively short order she was limping on both her legs. Within 4-6 weeks she wasn't limping anymore.

Initially, I wondered if she'd make it but she never seemed to be as disturbed about it as I was and she never seemed to lose any weight or be lethargic or show other distress than the limping.

I hope you're as lucky! But, be patient and give it time. And forgive yourself. Your chicken won't hold any grudges.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom