Help please.. my ducks are stuck in freezing water

Wi_Pida

Songster
Mar 21, 2019
Gresham, Wisconsin
My ducks got in the water this afternoon and when it became bedtime they could not get out of the pond because it started snowing and the mud became too slippery for them to get out. I put a ladder with fabric down to give them a way out but the too afraid to try to use it. It's 28° f and I cannot give them out of a pond. Will they survive? They're not even a year old yet. I'm extremely worried and just need some reassurance that they'll be okay

They are about 10 months old. The pond is almost an acre but it's not very deep. Actually took the boat out in it and was trying to coax them out and I kept running into sandbars.

If they are ten months, and it's not getting too cold, they should be fine temperature wise. I would be more concerned about predators.

Exactly, how old are they? Are they fully waterproofed?

If the pond is a good size, and it's not getting too low temperature-wise, I'm sure they'll be fine, luckily ponds retain warmth from the surrounding ground fairly well. Ducks are extremely cold-tolerant creatures.
They are about 10 months old. The pond is almost an acre but it's not very deep. Actually took the boat out in it and was trying to coax them out and I kept running into sandbars.

How are they doing?
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, it's been a crazy week. Anyway, we were finally able to get the ducks out of the pond and back into the warmth of the coop. My husband had to go out with our boat to break up the ice and coax them to the edge of the pond. Once the pond melted the little buggers decided to go back in but when they came out for supper we quickly blocked off the pond for the night. So now in the midmorning we open the pond back up for them and lock it back down at supper time.

Thank you for checking in on them. 😊

If they are ten months, and it's not getting too cold, they should be fine temperature wise. I would be more concerned about predators.
That's why I was trying to get them out in the first place. My husband saw a red fox across the street. The temperature is supposed to be around 28 tonight. So between the red fox and the temperature I'm worried sick.

Back
Top Bottom