Help please.. my ducks are stuck in freezing water

We almost got them out by using the net to push them out and give them traction but my husband got irritated, moved to fast and they flew back into the water.
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like they can fly out if they need to. Maybe after the sun sets they might return to your yard?

How are they doing?
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, it's been a crazy week. Anyway, we were finally able to get the ducks out of the pond and back into the warmth of the coop. My husband had to go out with our boat to break up the ice and coax them to the edge of the pond. Once the pond melted the little buggers decided to go back in but when they came out for supper we quickly blocked off the pond for the night. So now in the midmorning we open the pond back up for them and lock it back down at supper time.

Thank you for checking in on them. 😊

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, it's been a crazy week. Anyway, we were finally able to get the ducks out of the pond and back into the warmth of the coop. My husband had to go out with our boat to break up the ice and coax them to the edge of the pond. Once the pond melted the little buggers decided to go back in but when they came out for supper we quickly blocked off the pond for the night. So now in the midmorning we open the pond back up for them and lock it back down at supper time.

Thank you for checking in on them. 😊

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are OK.

Exactly, how old are they? Are they fully waterproofed?

If the pond is a good size, and it's not getting too low temperature-wise, I'm sure they'll be fine, luckily ponds retain warmth from the surrounding ground fairly well. Ducks are extremely cold-tolerant creatures.
How extreme? Georgia temps going to be in one digit range this weekend (7-29-22) or so. My ducks are 9 months old and have a 1/2 acre pond. They've been handling the below freezing weather "OK" I think, but I sure am worried about single digits ALONG WITH harsh winds coming soon. The have a little shack built from wood plats where I put their feed to keep dry but is not big enough for all of them (5) to fit in and I have never seen them stay in it for longer than it takes to eat. They stay in the water at night huddled together even when the weather is great but I'm afraid of them becoming frozen into the pond. If I make a makeshift shelter now I doubt they would go into it when coldest temps hit overnight. The little ones I worry about more, Indian Runner ducks because they're so small. Am I worrying too much or can they handle single digits along with wind chill temps even lower that single digits?

If mine I would keep them off the water and inside till the worst passes. I have Indian Runners and when we have temps in the teens they stay inside their coop ( their choosing) they come out to eat. We’re going to have wind chills in the minus. I’m worried about mine. If you can coax them inside their feed coop with a yummy treat then you could close them up for the night. You just want to make sure where ever you put them is secure so a predator doesn’t get to them.

Hope you’re able to get them out. Predators can be nasty and quick. Probably will be fine with the cold but I would be worried as well. If they are free range you should not feed at all and then give them some in evening in their enclosure. They will learn to be locked up by doing this. Mine will be in there house by night every night if I haven’t gone down to them yet waiting for my to shut the door. They also will come running when called bc of this

Waders are water proof boots/bibs so you can go in waist deep and not get wet
Actually waders are typically worn by duck hunters so I think it’s rather ironic that someone suggest use them to save ducks instead 🤣 good thinking though! A few occasions when training ducklings or introducing new ducks I wished I had them. And that’s only to get out of our creek not an acre pond/swamp!

Back
Top Bottom