HELP PLEASE!!! MY VERY YOUNG AND SMALL BUNNY ATE CHEWING GUM

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KatieBowman, Aug 21, 2016.

  1. KatieBowman

    KatieBowman New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Jul 25, 2016
    My 3 month old holland lop just found and ate a wad of chewed mint chewing gum.. I'm terrified!! what should I do? Take him to the vet? Watch him? He seems to be himself! But it only happened a few minutes ago... I'm scared out of my mind! He's my little baby boy! Please please help!!
     
  2. cassie

    cassie Overrun With Chickens

    4,790
    385
    281
    Mar 19, 2009
    He will be fine. How many kids do you know who ate chewing gum and lived to tell the tale? In any event, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I can't imagine that it could hut him though.
     
  3. Chickerdoodle13

    Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

    6,820
    324
    331
    Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sugar free gum contains a chemical called xylitol which can be rather toxic to most non-human animals. In animals, it can cause liver damage and very low blood sugars. There have been some reports of this causing issues in rabbits as well, so it would be recommended for most animals that ingest sugar free products to get blood work done to check the blood sugar and liver function. At this point, if she has not shown signs of low blood sugar (abnormal mentation, lethargy), she will probably be ok. I'm willing to guess that the amount she ate is not enough to cause too many issues, but a trip to the vet might still be a good idea. You could always call first and see what their protocol is and whether or not they recommend coming in to get her checked out. They can also help you figure out if she ate a toxic dose. (Of course, check to see if the gum was sugar free first. If it does not contain xylitol, she should be fine and will pass the gum on her own.)
     
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by