Help please! New hatchling :/

kzane23

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Northern NM
This little guys egg got cracked before he pipped last night by his rowdy siblings. They managed to get off a pretty substantial amount of shell. He hadn't even internally pipped yet. I have been keeping an eye on him all day even though I couldn't see through the inner membrane, I could tell he was breathing. He was moving pretty violently like he'd been trying to come out. I moistened the membrane a bit and saw that it was still full of blood vessels and the he was completely upside down and HUGE. I went ahead and helped him out and he's yolk sac was completely absorbed. The veins that were left were all pretty small and he did bleed a bit. My question is, Does his abdomen look the way it's supposed too? He also has a pretty large head?

I've hatched a number of chicks that were early hatchers, and unfortunately it looks like yours might not make it.
sad.png

There is always hope though. Don't handle it, just leave it be and let it stay warm. Make sure it doesn't scratch its self as it kicks. And keep an eye on its belly. It doesn't look like the belly button sealed all the way, which is likely to lead to infection.

I hope it heals up and thrives. Best of luck!
smile.png

He is a preemie but may make it. He needs to be WARM and dry and no drafts and won't show much activity for a few days.

Last edited:
He is already up and running. I left him in the incubator while I went to town and when I got back he was up and shredding the paper towels. He's belly button was closed, it just had egg poo stuck to it. I think he was probably just exhausted from trying to get out of an upside down egg all day. He's in with his siblings now and they are all snuggled up in the corner of their tote :)

Back
Top Bottom