help please..new to ducks...what to get? meyer hatchery?

mandapanda3186

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
southwest Michigan
Ok well I just got chicks...thought of adding a few ducks to my "clan" some of you might have already read about the indian runners and rouens at TSC...here's my question

I read about call ducks. And anconas or whichever its pronounced...I looked up meyer hatchery..they have runners of many types, buff ducks, blue swedish, pekin, khaki campbell, welsh harlequin white crested and mallard.

Is this just what they have? Are call ducks included and just a different name or a different duck altogether? I want just a few and read you can order smaller quantities from meyer...and I'm looking for the best possible for not necessarily eggs, but if they lay that's cool, but for pet quality...I have young kids, I want it to be fun.

Any sugggestions/answers? Id appreciate any info
smile.png
thanks!

Well when i was a kid my dad got a bunch of Pekins one summer and my little sister and i just loved ours. Pekins do get on the big side though. Im not sure you can go wrong if youre looking for pet quality.

Call ducks are call ducks, their own breed of bantam (small sized) duck. They come in different colors, are adorable but loud.

Welsh Harlequins are nice and pretty, seem popular as pets. My favorite are Cayugas, they are pretty calm for ducks and the least noisy of the ducks we have (my son was holding and petting one of the girls today for some time). Neither breed flys and both are decent layers.

Back
Top Bottom