HELP please. New to raising chicks, and something has gone wrong. :(

At only two feet long the tub is likely not long enough for them to get away from the light and regulate their temperature.

Do they have access to feed and water at all times?

Sunny, yes they drink the water. Kstaven, the feed store where I got them said they were vaccinated. I'm Mana Pro brand food, which is what the store recommended. Onthespot, thanks! They are eating fine, I think. The food is always gone when I check on them (which is like 2-3 hrs since losing the other 2). I get them to eat out of my hand occasionally, as well. Kstaven, I raised the light again last night, so hopefully it's not too hot for them. The therm. is right by the tub, so I assume the temp is based in their area? And yes, I have a feeder and waterer, so they have access to food. My cousin had chickens and ducks when I was younger and I don't remember her having any problems with hers. I'm trying all the suggestions I've been given today, so here's hoping! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. Much appreciated!!

Just my two cents, but I won't brood ducklings and chicks together.
Ducks tend to sling water everywhere which is not good for the baby chicks.

Really? I didn't know that and these ducklings are very dainty. They seem to not like any mess at all. I.e, they even stay away from any poop in the cage. I will try seperating them for awhile. At least til they can all go outside, maybe.

Quote:
If the ducklings are VERY young, they may not have begun the brooder chaos yet.
smile.png

Any duckling I have ever brooded, once they find the water, have made a swamp out of their brooder. Usually have to clean it out 4-5 times a day to keep it from being soaked.

Quote:
You really need a bigger area for them. The temp needs to be taken inside the tub where they are not right by the tub. Down in the tub it could be much much hotter.

Hi! Not sure if this is anything or not as I am pretty new to this as well. I had one (the littlest) who was always a little puny and began to fade even more, finally to the point of just sitting there with little eyes closed. I checked with others on this page and they suggested worming. So I wormed the lot of them and made sure Little Puny one was drinking. I also hand fed her and gave her vitamins. I could hardly believe it when she came around...and is now the biggest of our hens and our best layer! Good luck!

It's been suggested but I'll also suggest it:

please put the thermometer as close to the chicks as possible.

it's amazing how much heat these lamps put out and especially inside
a little tub, I'm sure it's hotter than you might think.

good luck.

CBrown86- I am very new to this as well, but what you are describing is exactly what happened to 2 of my 12 chicks. They were running around like crazy chicks and eatingand drinking then all of a sudden, 1 got lethargic. I did all the suggested things, as well, and she still died. I was giving her electrolyte water with a dropper every 2 hours by the end, and still, nothing helped. The next day it started with another one. Blessedly, we haven't had any others fall ill, so perhaps it has stopped.I think no matter what we do, we are just going to have to accept that we will lose few. Sure doesn't make it any easier, I know. So sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Quote:
And ducklings cannot eat medicated starter, if your feed if medicated (which I believe you already said it was) then it cant be fed to the ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom