HELP please! Parakeet with poopy butt...

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
Hey guys. I have a parakeet who is making a mewing noise. She was fine this afternoon. I just saw it with the boyfriend. She's covered with poo.

Soak it?

What else?

We think she's under a year old, too young to be egg bound. We soaked her and removed the poo slowly with a wet paper towel. It took a long time to get the firm green poo off but it eventually did, she did not poo again since. We turned the heat up and Annie is holding her to warm her up (this is the boyfriend typing). We are hoping for a normal poo now.

put a little vaseline like you would a pasty butt chick, just in case she has more problems- everything i've been told with a parakeet is warmth, quiet and nondrafty- let me see if i can google any other options

Hey - It's Annie now. I had her cupped to my chest to try and keep her warm so she could dry up a little before putting her back in the cage. We made it even warmer in the house.

She pooped while she was on me - but it looks like a tiny bit of pea green with mostly a whitish celadon kind of color, which I believe is the urate, but the color is off. There was fluid in it, which was absorbed in my shirt.

We looked at her after that and her feathers were sticking together - so we trimmed them. I hope we didn't do wrong by that.

We don't keep vaseline. Do you think a little olive oil on a q-tip would help? We're going to take her out and check her in an hour or so to see if she's still sticking.

Thank you for all of your help!

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try posting in that ER forum! We JUST moved to NY and we're supposed to be getting between 10-16" of snow for tomorrow/Sunday. I have no idea where an avian vet is here. I should have planned ahead!

Things that have been different than the norm:

-We moved about a week and a half ago (my days are blurring)
-I moved their cage today to a different room.
-We had the oil man come yesterday to add oil to the tank and he spilled some, making it very smelly in here for the night, but I couldn't bring the birds outside because we had snow.
-I gave them a different type of millet spray that is sold in bulk out of a box at my LPS (yesterday)
-I changed their water this morning and cleaned their cage.
-They have been chewing on/playing with a new toy made out of dried yucca. I took it out of the cage just now and threw it away.

She is absolutely not hand tame and is very afraid of us. She's all puffy now and hanging out with the other birds. She's drying off well, but the area around her bottom is still wet or stuck to itself with residual stuff. I tried to get all of it, but the feathers there were yellowish and I couldn't tell if it was discoloration or something stuck.

I hope she makes it. I really like her.

Back
Top Bottom