Help! Please! Pecking order situation.

You can only have one roo per 10 hens if you are going to keep them all make sure they all have the right amount of hens
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
I agree right know my rooster has 8 hens and he is doing just fine 1:10 is just a good median

We have a lot of roosters. Too many to be in a normal coop. they have just been all coexsisting so well for so long I didn’t see a need to downsize my roo population until now. I was just hoping because they all have been together for so long with no issue there would be a way for him to become part of the flock again.
It's spring, hormones are rushing in.

You can only have one roo per 10 hens if you are going to keep them all make sure they all have the right amount of hens
Yes, that is what’s normal. I have more than that and only just now I’m having a problem. it’s not the amount of roosters I have, it’s the situation.

Build a bachelor pad. Build a separate coop/run big enough for all the boys and keep them all except for your Cemani in there forever. No girls allowed. Leave the Cemani with the girls.

Get rid of all the other boys. get rid of means eat, sell, or give them away.

Build a separate coop/run for the Cemani and a few girls. Forever keep them separated from the rest.

For all three of these, don't hatch any more chicks or get anymore chicks unless you know their sex until you have a plan to deal with the boys. This is going to be a recurring issue.
I don’t have an issue getting rid of anyone, I’ve never had problems, so I never had to deal with that. I won’t be keeping any male chicks this year.

I read about the bachelor pad idea and I like that. The cemani has been the girls main man for so long, so keeping him with the girls sounds really good!!!

Thank you!

It won't go back to them all getting along, which is what I think your were hoping. That we would have a trick, that could reset the flock into all getting along again. It won't.

The problem I see, is the building idea - which takes time and space. Sometimes bachelor quarters work, and sometimes they don't. You really don't have time as in you need a solutions now. I think eventually they will even fight through a fence, or at least it is a real possibility.

Mrs K

How old are these birds? All fully mature roosters, or cockerels under a year old? If they’re cockerels, I would suspect that things will only get worse as their hormones increase. Have they been penned up long enough that the hawks have moved on? If so, maybe you could put them back out in the yard until you get a bachelor pen built for them.

I don’t have an issue getting rid of anyone, I’ve never had problems, so I never had to deal with that. I won’t be keeping any male chicks this year.

I read about the bachelor pad idea and I like that. The cemani has been the girls main man for so long, so keeping him with the girls sounds really good!!!

Thank you!
excellent advice, I agree and that tracks with what I have read from different media sources.

Back
Top Bottom