help please! pekin duck

baileyf

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
I've been trying and trying to help her niacin Deficiency. I have her confined now to help ensure she's getting it but my question is is she too far gone and in misery? I'm not sure the humane thing to do here or if I am making her suffer and she won't even get better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 46
What have you done so far to help her and how old is she? What has her diet been up to now?
Purina duck (has niacin in it). I added yeast flakes on top and that didn't help either. I have the niacin pills to put in her water but I'm opting for the injectable solution I will pick up tomorrow as I'm comfortable with injections. I've had to administer several times for my other farm animals. She is about 5 months old.

I don't know anything about injecting it - I gave mine orally. There is lots of other helpful information in the post I linked on another thread. My duck had splay leg, and I was able to pull her legs into proper position with vet wrap. She recovered but wasn't near as debilitated as your duck - her feet were still flat. I hope for the best for your duck. We never want to see our animals suffer! Here is a video of my duck walking with her hobbles:

Is this both legs or just the one? Can she stand and walk at all? when did this start?
It looks pretty bad but let's not give up hope until you've tried the liquid b complex. I'd also make her a shoe if she isn't laying her foot flat. You can take a piece of plastic from a cool whip container or something similar. Lay her foot on it and draw an outline of her foot then cut to the shape wrap in some kind of tape to cover the sharp edges. Then lay her foot flat out in a normal position and use a tape that won't stick to her skin Vet wrap works great. Go up above her ankle so she can't get it off. and make sure not to wrap too tight the circulation is cut off. @Cori M has a really good video of how she helped her Pekin.

Thanks for the tag.

I don't have experience with a niacin deficiency, but I have plenty of experience with a pekin with a painful foot. To help with that my vet recommended keeping my duck on soft clean surfaces, like thick layers of towels, 4-6 inches of straw, or clean grass. They had me keep her warm and dry, so inside in cold or wet weather. And they had me give pain medication for life.

We considered a duck wheelchair if pain medication didn't help. I think handicapped pets makes one for ducks.

Also, my understanding is that most people use the injectable niacin orally.

Can you take her to a vet?

I don't know anything about injecting it - I gave mine orally. There is lots of other helpful information in the post I linked on another thread. My duck had splay leg, and I was able to pull her legs into proper position with vet wrap. She recovered but wasn't near as debilitated as your duck - her feet were still flat. I hope for the best for your duck. We never want to see our animals suffer! Here is a video of my duck walking with her hobbles:
thanks! my duck is much larger, I don't think I can move her legs.

Is this both legs or just the one? Can she stand and walk at all? when did this start?
It looks pretty bad but let's not give up hope until you've tried the liquid b complex. I'd also make her a shoe if she isn't laying her foot flat. You can take a piece of plastic from a cool whip container or something similar. Lay her foot on it and draw an outline of her foot then cut to the shape wrap in some kind of tape to cover the sharp edges. Then lay her foot flat out in a normal position and use a tape that won't stick to her skin Vet wrap works great. Go up above her ankle so she can't get it off. and make sure not to wrap too tight the circulation is cut off. @Cori M has a really good video of how she helped her Pekin.
Both legs. It happened when she was a baby some and I corrected it. I noticed it this bad 1.5 to 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to catch her ever since! She has been avoiding me in the large pond on our property and I was finally able to get her. She tries to walk but no really can't. The shoe idea sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom