Help please! quickly!

PeckyChan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
I'm about to go to work soon ish and I have brought one of my girls in the house over night because I think her crop is blocked. Now I have to work soon, should I leave her in with water and food or just water or put her back out free to move around more in the coop/run? Help please

I hope I don't insult you with this question but have you been giving them chicken grit (rocks) to eat? If not then that is good news because that's probably all she needs. If you have been then she has a more serious problem. Sick animals usually fast anyways. This ensures the body exerts all of its energy on healing And less energy on digestion. Humans should probably practice the same tactic when we get sick. I do hope she gets well. Raising chickens can be heart breaking at times. Chickens are much more fragile than dogs and cats.

Last edited:
I did when I first got them but they didn't seem to be doing anything with it apart from kick it all over the place! Should I put her a bowl of grit in?

It does seem like its gone down a bit from yesterday and she seems a little more alert

I'm home now. Checked up on her and she's had a few runny poops, I've let her out for a little walk around the kitchen and refilled her water with room temperature water with a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda. Her crop to me looks quite normal sized but she's still acting a bit slow and weird can anyone elaborate. Thank you

Why the bicarb? If you're thinking she needs electrolytes, which is not a bad idea, you might want to look at the recipes for home made electrolyte solution. Either way, I'd be sure she also has access to plain water as well.

I have read that it kills any nastyiness in her crop. She has a bowl with a teaspoon of that. A cold water bowl and a bowl with a tiny bit of mushed up food. She is looking quite normal but still acting a bit weird as usually she runs from you if you go near her.. Also I can hear her tiny little belly rumbling :(

I've let her out into the garden under my watchful eye and she seems to have perked up and bit and speed up a bit, also had a bit of noise coming from her when the others greeted her

Back
Top Bottom