Help, please. Serama egg had been chirping and hubby opened the wrong side.

new2chickmomma

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2016
Ok here is the run down...
Last night the egg started chirping.
Before I came in, he had tried to assist the chick and opened a large hole on the wrong side of the egg. He was trying to help. It was alot of bleeding. I stepped in at this point. I stopped the bleeding with a damp papertowel, returned her to the incubator. She has been chirping all night and pipped through the egg this morning. And is actively breaking through the shell. With the large hole that is in the back, I'm worried that she might not make it or hemorrhaging may accure. Ive been keeping the membrane moist so she can absorb as much as possible. What else can I do? Is there anything else I can do? Should I brace myself for her to die? Im so worried...

Hind sight is 20/20. By now, I'm sure you know that assisting was the wrong thing to do. When an egg hatches, the chick first pips through the inner membrane into the air cell (that's when you hear the chirping) It can be an other 24 hours before the chick breaks through the shell. Then it may be up to an other 24 hours before the chick "unzips" the shell to hatch. During all of these stages, the chick is doing important stuff. Learning how to breathe, absorbing blood from the membranes, absorbing the yolk. Resting. Only when all of that is done, and the chick is physiologically ready to be born does he break out of the egg. Interference before these tasks are completed can do serious harm, or even kill him. My advice: keep the humidity up in the bator. Stop opening up and messing with the membrane. While you're waiting, read all of "Hatching eggs 101" in the learning center. Should be required reading before plugging in an incubator. I review it every season before I start hatching. I wish you the best.

Bitty is hatched and she is doing great, and just to make it known I haven't had to open the incubator since I put her back in. I have put a sterilized iv tube through one of the vent holes to keep the appropriate amount of water in the bottom of the incubator so that I don't have to open it till the others are all out. I have read over the hatching 101 many times before deciding to hatch our bitties. This is the second set of bitties I have hatched and this is the first issue we have come across. I was simply seeing if there was anything else I should do. The other 2 eggs are rocking now and one has already pipped the shell. Thank you for your response. :)

Back
Top Bottom