laura4181

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Help! Sick baby!
Help! Sick baby!
a few seconds ago
laura4181
I have a 2 Peking ducklings. I bought them at about 1 week old, both seemed very healthy. At about 3 weeks the one,Carl, seems to be stumbling backwards. Checked the brood temp. It was fine. He would try to eat and drink normally. Within 24 hours he could not walk, stand, his head is bent back,he is half the size as the other one. He has will to drink and eat. He calls for me and I take him back and forth between water and food probably about 3X an hour. Although he gets tired and I'm sure it's not enough. About 2-3 times a day I give him water with an eye dropper so he gets something for sure. I have tryed " save a chick" probiotic and my last resort is niacin in his water and food. I started that last night. He hasn't gotten any worse. Any suggestions or ideas would be sooooo helpful. Again his eyes are open, he still attempts to eat and drink. He just acts like a new hatchling, almost seizure like. It's been 4 days since he started.. Is there any hope. What should I do?

What are you feeding them?

I have no idea what is wrong with your duck. It could be a vitamin deficiency, hopefully someone on here will know more.

In the meantime, you might want to get him some vitamins and electrolytes (the probiotics will not help enough if it's a vitamin deficiency). Sav-a-Chick Vitamins and Electrolytes or Nutridrench Poultry are often recommended on this forum. You can do a forum search for more specifics on dosage and how to use these.

Also, this thread tells the story of a duckling who had wry neck, and it goes into more details about vitamin deficiency and correcting the problem: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title It might be helpful for your case.

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind is their food/chick starter medicated?? Ducklings and geese must have un-medicated feed. Try feeding hard-boiled egg, because that contains nearly every mineral and vitamin known to man, if in fact it's a deficiency.
There is always hope! Keep the niacin going as well. I am sorry that is all I've got for now.

Thanks. I have nutri drench. I will defiantly look into dosages and thanks for the other thread. I will do anything to try and get him well. He seems strong today. Still has no control over his little body. Def. eating and drinking agressively. any input helps. Even if it just to keep me going. I feel like a hospice nurse. Any info is great. Thanks guys.

Oh and no medicated feed. As far as I know. Duckling starter only. He seem comfy on his side. It's just so sad and strange.

Some ducklings have more of a need for B vitamins than others. Chick starter is a little low for ducklings to begin with. Here are some options.

Plain niacin, 150 mg per gallon of drinking water for 8 weeks - it is fine for the others

Brewer's yeast, a tablespoon per day sprinkled on their food. Provides niacin and other B vitamins

B Complex vitamin, using niacin as your baseline - 100 mg per gallon of water (this is something I have not done, but I have seen reference to, so do some due diligence if you want to go this route)

Less likely is some kind of infection, but if the others do not show any signs, I am leaning toward nutrient deficiency.

Also, what is the brooder temperature? Overheating can cause problems.

The temp I keep him in is about 80-85. I can try the B complex. I was just hoping it's not neurological or genetic. I pray it reversible.

Thanks next step vitamin B. I feel like he is very slowly improving. I defiantly have him with me at all timed. Lol. Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming. I'll keep you updated.

Does anyone know how long it might take with the nicin. He loved the egg. Still very interested in eating, drinking, and cuddling. He doesn't seem to have so many body convolutions, but his head bobs violently when he eats or gets excited. Still has no balance. Just rolls on his back. :( I'll hang in there. I plan on putting a video up so it's more understandable shortly. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom