Help Please - Sick Goose

I've never seen the inside of a goose's mouth before. Has she ate anything green lately? I would try everything to get her to eat. The tub is not going to hurt her just warm up the water every now and then. Make sure she doesn't get to cold. We have emergency 24 hour vets around here? Do you all have any of those around you?

Thank you for reaching out to people for me!

There are no obvious signs of a beak injury. It's chipped a little at the very tip, but I don't think it could be causing pain. She does seem to enjoy it when I massage near her jaw area. It puts her to sleep.

Your welcome I wish there was something I could say or do to help her. Bless your heart for taking care of her and I hope and pray she gets better.

No emergency vets near me. I left a message on the answering machine at my regular vet just to see if there was anything they would be willing to help me out with (testing the poop, etc).

I would do probiotics and perhaps some sav a chick. The vitamins and good bacteria can only help at this point.
You might want to see if there's a wildlife rescue or warden service. They may have numbers and names of who could help locally.

Not sure about the rest but for the limping I would check her for hot spots due to injury, sprain or strain. Some time after her bath and she is back to normal temperatures gently feel her feet, legs and hips for any hot spots. If its an injury or from sprain you might be able to feel it. If you do feel a hot spot you can ever so gently massage. I had a goose and a duck I had to massage due to mild injuries.

You just give her warm baths you don't leave her in the water all the time? being sick she could chill very easily.I'd actually towel her dry and make sure she is in a warm place till dry.

Have you tried mixing some feed into the almond milk she likes and making like soup see if she'll try to eat or drink it. If she is losing weight that is not good. Did you read the emergency thread I posted.It talks about tube feeding that is one way to get them back feeling better especially if they have lost weight.

I fill the tub with very warm water and make sure I get her out the moment it's not warm anymore, then I sit her on a dry towel and put all of her food and water around her. I did read the emergency post and watched several how-to videos on Facebook. I made her a very nutritious smoothie... And now I'm quite sure my blender is now my emergency pet blender! I bought 3 different kinds of chicken treats: oats & mealworms, vegetable & fruit mix, and just plain meal worms with a splash of her favorite unsweetened almond milk... Sounds delicious, huh!
My mom came for moral support earlier and we were able to get a little down, but I'm about to try again on my own after I find a few band aids for my finger so I don't feel her teeth when I stick my finger in her mouth to get the smoothie in her cheek.
Thanks for the tips! So far she is hanging in, but not looking very perky...

Please keep us updated on how she is doing. I hope she gets to feeling better real soon. I'll probably be turning my computer off shortly I'll check back in the morning to see how she is doing. Take care and god bless.

Back
Top Bottom