Help please! Silkie injury or sickness unknown

meledwards

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Winthrop, Maine
Hello, I noticed over the weekend that one of my silkies (she is just over a year old) was acting "off". Her pace was much slower and she walked with her wing down, almost paralyzed looking. I inspected her, no other visible signs of injury to feet or anything. I isolated her and did the "figure 8" wrap with vet wrap. I've been doing an over abundance of reading and wonder if something else is going on instead of what I thought was a wing issue. She isn't eating or drinking (in my prescence at least). She goes to pick at her bowl, but doesn't quite make it. I'm wondering now if she had a head injury. Maybe she's just exhausted, but her eyes are heavy all the time, like she wants to fall asleep. Poops are watery(most likely from not eating). I did worm her with valbazen. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How does her abdomen feel?
When was the last time she laid an egg - was it normal?
Does she have a history of laying soft shell eggs, respiratory illness or any other issues?
Have you recently added any new chickens to your flock?

Feel of her abdomen, any swelling, bloat, hardness?
Sometimes an internal laying/reproductive disorder can cause limping/leg issues.

Feed her her normal feed with a little egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Offer some vitamins in her water.

Back
Top Bottom