Help, please! Son helped chick hatch.

Duhonmommie

Songster
Mar 10, 2021
Louisiana
My DS helped a chick hatch too soon. It's beak was visible, but it was still in the shell. When given to momma, she pecked it a bit, rolled it over, and walked away. I do not own an incubator. Is there any way I can save the chick? TIA

Try to get the chick in a warm and moist area. Is the chick already fully hatched or it's shell was pecked ? How many days old? Can you get another hen to help the chick if the mother doesn't want it? Are you able to get an incubator quickly? If there's a hole in the egg, you might have to stop any possible bleeding and cover the egg with saran wrap or melted wax if it's a small break...

OPEN ME
READ ME
CLICK ME

Last edited:
Sadly, it passed away.

It has only pecked the first hole and DS finished taking the shell off. He didn't know better. All this happened just this morning. Momma already has two other chicks that hatched Tuesday. Not sure if that's why she rejected it or not.

Thank you for your help!!
Try to get the chick in a warm and moist area. Is the chick already fully hatched or it's shell was pecked ? How many days old? Can you get another hen to help the chick if the mother doesn't want it? Are you able to get an incubator quickly? If there's a hole in the egg, you might have to stop any possible bleeding and cover the egg with saran wrap or melted wax if it's a small break...

OPEN ME
READ ME
CLICK ME

Back
Top Bottom