Help please, what do I do?

FlaneryFlock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
I have two new poults, both hens, in a brooder with water and food. The temperature is at a steady 99, and they are on wheat straw. However I have not personally seen them drink. I have put the marbles in their water and still, I haven't seen it. Should I mark the water on the container and see if it goes down by morning?

I also haven't seen them eat, but I tried feeding them by hand and they eat that way. I have put some food on foil and I still haven't seen them eat from it. They come running when they see my hand go for their normal food bowl so they can eat from my fingers.

They both are acting like normal poults, chirping, sleeping, running around.

My first turkeys were easier than these two to raise.

Tonight I also found a red lump on the bedding. At first I thought it was blood, but I thought bloody poo was runny? This was more like a chunk of something. None of them are injured though, so I have no idea where it came from. I can provide pictures if needed. I fed them some medicated food and put Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) in their water.

What do I do now?

Update: I put a towel up so they can't see me walk around the room. I peeked in a minute ago and they were pecking at the food. Thank goodness. What a giant relief.. Now to see if they are drinking..

Note: To quiet poults or to help them eat food, I've sprinkled some chopped grass in their food and water, with some spots around the brooder to keep them busy. Works like magic.

Back
Top Bottom