Help please with diagnosis of enlarged legs

chickenchatting

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
I have an older chicken who has feathered feet. I didn't know she had such a problem as none of my other chickens do. They did have mites but were easily cured with vaseline. This chicken is pretty bad, I tried epsom salt soaks, antibiotic ointment, wrapping them, etc. They are not getting better and bleed small amounts. She eats and drinks and can walk but doesn't go far. I have her isolated because the other chickens attach her. I am attaching pictures and will try penicillin if that might be a solution. Thank you for your advise.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 10
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 8
Some of my older birds get arthritis which causes their legs to get bigger. Chickens can get gout too, so that's another possibility of what's going on.

The first picture looks like injuries to me, the second looks like a potential injury too. Where does she roost or sleep?

Since she is separated from the others, she is in a separate run with a dog house for her sleeping and shelter. There is no roost in there so basically she is on shavings and hay on the floor.

They have a tree branch about 8" off the floor. The floor is covered in Tractor Supply shavings. It started with very bad crusts and after soaking, the crusts came off and this won't heal. I am thinking about penicillin in case it is an infection. It does look like a wound right now. One leg is much larger than the other. The swelling in the other leg seems to be decreasing. Thank you.

Can you take her to a vet?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
What does the bottom of the foot look like?
I've circled a couple of places in one of your photos - what is that next to your fingers - dirt/poop/debris or dead/dying tissue? The back of the foot - is that a scab or dead looking tissue as well?
Also, did she ever have a leg band?

It could be a number of things, gout, arthritis, infection from wounds/where feathers have broken/been pulled or some other condition.

Soakings in epsom salts make help, but she most likely does need some type of antibiotic to get it under control. Having a vet do some testing to find out what the cause is so you get the proper medication would be a good idea. Penicillin may work - you could try it, to see if it makes a difference.

Offer her some poultry vitamins for a boost and see that she is eating well.
Keep us posted.

upload_2017-8-31_8-45-43.png

Thank you for your advice. The circled picture where the debris is, that is what covered her legs. I am going to try the penicillin next, my vet does not treat chickens. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom