Help please with first hatch

Still nothing. I'm afraid I think this guy died as well. Maybe the humidity during the incubation 25 days is off?

Yes I take them out of the incubator with the turner and in to a hatcher where they are just laid down. I'm wondering if maybe my humidity is to high in general and the humidity gage s off. I do live in Florida and there's a lot of humidity here so perhaps I need hardly any water in the water channels
Could be..

We too him out real fast and shined the light on him and no movement at all. Has this one died as well? He was alive and chirping lots 4 hrs ago
sad.png
Spray him. 4 hours may not be enough time but it looks as though he's a tab bit dry? What the humidity at now?

I am so sorry, I never got an email to see these replies. The last egg did not make it. It did the same as all the others which seems to be pipping and then dying a few hrs later. However we now have this guy (pic attached). He pipped 16 hours ago and is still moving as I quacked at him just now and saw I think his beak move inside the hole he's made. The hole had stayed the same since he first broke through so no further progress. I'm anxious as this is the stage all our others died at - do I help him hatch or leave him to it? So worried he'll die like the last few before he gets out.

Guys its out!!
celebrate.gif
Does it look ok to you? It keeps falling over when trying to stand/walk - is that normal? How long do I leave him in the hatcher? I am beyond excited!!! I hope he's formed ok . . .

It could be a problem, but it's entirely too early to tell. Hatchlings rarely have the coordination required to pass a roadside sobriety test right out of the shell, so it wouldn't be completely out of the norm. Usually they still stumble around for a day or so.

Keep an eye out for webs that don't unfold, that's the most common thing I've seen hatchlings have issues with, but it's an easy fix.

Splayed legs are common too, but again are an easy fix.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice :) It keeps falling on its back and taking ages to figure out how to roll back over! Do I leave it in the hatcher until it dries out fully? Will it be ok as the only duckling in the brooder?

Back
Top Bottom