HELP PLEASE

Took her to vet. Gave a stool sample. They gave her antibiotics. He said without running a battery of expensive test it is rare to come up with a sure fire diagnosis as most illness and diseases in fowl show many of the same symptoms. He told me to keep her quarantined feed her medicated food, give antibiotics and keep her comfortable. I didn't leave with much hope but I will care for her until no longer possible. Also @EggSighted4Life thank you so kindly for all of you caring wonderful advice. I truly appreciate it. You taught me a lot in short period of time. I hate to see anyone or anything sick and feel I must try to help. Vet said I will undoubtedly lose some to illness, predators just the circle of life as with any pet. Again thank you.

Took her to vet. Gave a stool sample. They gave her antibiotics. He said without running a battery of expensive test it is rare to come up with a sure fire diagnosis as most illness and diseases in fowl show many of the same symptoms. He told me to keep her quarantined feed her medicated food, give antibiotics and keep her comfortable. I didn't leave with much hope but I will care for her until no longer possible. Also @EggSighted4Life thank you so kindly for all of you caring wonderful advice. I truly appreciate it. You taught me a lot in short period of time. I hate to see anyone or anything sick and feel I must try to help. Vet said I will undoubtedly lose some to illness, predators just the circle of life as with any pet. Again thank you.
Sounds like stargazing? Vitamins might help. Possibly brought on by not eating. Childrens' Poly vi Sol with NO iron is what I usually see recommended on here. I lost a whole shipment of chicks who kept throwing their heads back. I think they are trying to lift their head but too weak and looking at the ceiling is the result. I agree with the vet that there will be loss eventually.
sad.png

Yesterday I was going over all the conversations I've had, as I always do.... So I was thinking about your wild chicks. If you have access inside the coop, wait until they are roosted for the evening and then go in to inspect or handle them. They are usually very calm and docile after the initial roosting chaos. I doubt they will even try to get away from you. I can pet even the flightiest of my birds by doing that. Once they are settled they won't even get up for meal worms here. You might also hand out a small treat while you are petting and gently talking to them. The more they see you like this the more they will know you are not a threat. Probably start with more tame hens and work your way to the wilds with slow and deliberate movements.

You have a lot of chickens and you are brave for taking one to the vet, it's not cheap. Many of us become our own vets and one day I will have to decide if I am willing to take a chicken to the vet. I do take samples though without question when needed. The reason I sometimes participate in threads I have no clue about is trying to learn what I need to. My mind is alert trying to always figure things out. I still have a ton to learn! I also have not yet lost a chicken (other than the shipment), but the sad and joyful day that we are going to start eating our own chickens is rapidly approaching!
hmm.png
I am currently at 33. All are pets, but some are breeders and eaters. Have 20 more coming in August. I love raising chickens and other animals. The stresses are far outweighed by the joys.... so far! I actually got my first egg song (with this flock since I moved far away) on July 3rd!
celebrate.gif
After singing all day, she laid the egg while sitting on my shoulder.... it cracked when it hit the concrete, but still so cool!

I am so thankful to be a part of the BYC community! And honored by all of the outstanding people who are willing to share their experience in the hopes of helping others.

Best wishes!

She is still hanging in there. I did the scrambled egg and yogurt and she loved it. She has more life today and is eating the medicated chick food. She just has no balance. I took her out of the kennel and let her try to walk around but she just kept returning to the kennel. Poo still appears healthy just smelly today from the scrambled egg and yogurt. I have been watching the entire flock. Bought new feeders, layed some high quality wheat straw, treated all water with antibiotics, trying to take all precautions. Vet said discard all eggs after round of antibiotics for 14 days. My girls have only began to lay so not getting a great deal of eggs at this point anyway.
In observing the flock when they came in to roost last night seen no new problems, however from her 12 wild little group, did see one this morning that appeared to have slight limp and one appeared a little puffed when running to the woods. But these girls hang further away and deeper in the woods than any of my other birds. I guess it is just a very worrisome waiting game at this point. Again thank you.

That's awesome that your girl is showing some improvement! Keep up the good work, and the good eye. So many things can be cured if caught early enough.

I don't understand the slight limp thing though.

If it's not too personal, just as a reference... do you mind telling me how much you ended up spending at the vet?

Each day shows slight improvement. Today is better than yesterday, eating wonderfully, taking treats, hung out in the back den with me today, still very unsteady but is able to stand for longer and better today. Almost like someone with an inner ear infection.
Oh no problem, about asking price. 45 for office visit, 20 for stool sample, 8.99 for antibiotic, and I bought Frontline for 3 dogs and antibiotic for a lamb I am bottle feeding, so minus the taxes on all that other stuff roughly 75.00. To much information right, I'm sorry sometimes I ramble especially when it comes to my animal family. Lol They are my therapy. My family. But thank you so much for your help. I have a small cochin, hatch date July 6, that I am trying to save to. I honestly believe it was hatched with internal birth defect because it cries when it poops. But I'm not giving up until it is absolutely necessary. Bottle feeding a lamb that ewe rejected so my little farm is full of needy critters. Lol But I wouldn't have it any other way.

No! just the right amount of information.... detail is what I like, thanks.

Sometimes chicks are born with internal issues. I've even heard of that being a probable reason for hens culling occasionally, things we can't detect.

Frontline works well. It's what I use if I have to. My real problem is mosquitoes. And I also buy for 3 dogs. Costco price is good, equal to amazon.

My animals are also my friends/family/therapy/ and FITNESS routine. Way cheaper and less drama!
pop.gif
ok, maybe not cheaper.
hide.gif

We may get lambs next year.

I am glad your girl is still recovering nicely! Hoping for your other as well.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom