Help please!!

CrzychiknLady

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hi, I need some sound advice very badly! I have a girl around 2yrs old, on Saturday she started just standing in one spot hunched but not sitting, eyes closed, no eating drinking, no discharge, empty crop, no respiratory issues, Red comb and waddles. I treated with Valbazen and got a worm discharge, next day started everyone with Corid but she wasn't drinking...on Monday I started forcing her to eat and drink (Corid in the water) and yet she's still in the same condition. Her vent looks good except for the little bit of mess from the watery poop. How long does the Corid (if that's what I should be using) take to work? Should I be seeing an improvement by now? I am so sorry to bother you but I'm at my wits end here and I can't just give up wile she's still alive!

The symptoms she has had can be associated with other illnesses as well as cocci. Cocci is usually common in young chicks, but can be a problem in immune compromised chickens, or those exposed to a new strain of cocci, since there are more than 9 strains that affect chickens. Has she every had laying problems such as thin eggs, laying intermittently, or not laying? Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or some other internal organ problem could be possibilities. Look her skin over around her vent and elsewhere for tiny bugs such as lice or mites. Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard to rule out a crop impaction. Is she having any blood in her runny poops?

Negative on all your questions, I've checked everything and she's always been an egg laying machine! I went to coccidiosis because when I wormed her a lot came out. I just switched her to Duramycin, I'm on a wing and a prayer here.

She was attacked by a hawk a few months ago and it sliced her vent...do you think it could be from that?

The hawk attack may have caused some internal injury. I have a hen who was attacked by a dog last year. She was my best layer, laying large strong eggs daily. After she recovered, she has never laid a good egg since. They are usually shell-less or very thin shelled, even with plenty of calcium supplements. Most of the time we don't know what is going on inside until we perform a necropsy.

Last edited:
This one laid an egg the day she was attacked and after it happened! He eggs are huge especially for her size. I was thinking maybe some bacteria from the attack. Oh well thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it!

You're welcome. A vet who knows chickens could help in diagnosing EYP or internal laying. It is so common in our backyard hens. Please give us an update on her condition later.

Back
Top Bottom