Help please!

So sorry you lost her. It sounds like you took very good care of her and loved her. She knows that now and will be in your heart forever. Take care of Rex.
Thank you so much. And I will take care of Rex. He is a good dog. Shortly after that picture was taken he growled at our other dog to stay away from the babies. He is a very good protector, the birds are big enough now that they terrify him now.😆

I know how consuming grief is, and worry over your dog compounds it, but consider refrigerating this chicken and looking for a lab to do a necropsy. If it turns out to be Marek's that killed her, it has consequences for your entire flock. This list can get you started https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/agriculture/selecting-an-analytical-laboratory-0-520/
Looking back, Lil Bits was always the loner and not quite right like the rest of our little flock. We are think that she was sick when we got her. My other 2 hens, rooster and 2 ducks are all ok and doing the “fowl” thing and being total goof balls.

If she had symptoms when you got her, chances are she brought an avian virus into your flock. These are contagious. It's important to know what virus, if it's a virus, so you can manage it properly.

I have an avian virus in my flock, most likely arriving with the first adult chickens I began my flock with from a friend's flock after she died in a highway accident. Every chicken and baby chick since has been exposed and now carry it. I am aware of it and practice strict bio-security to keep it in my flock and not export it by wearing different foot wear when I am tending to them than I wear when going out to the store.

Back
Top Bottom