Help Please?

I
Mine just went through 12 days without getting above 0 F, with some of the nights being more than -40. How much lower, I don't know exactly because my thermometer doesn't go lower, but official reports 10 miles north and south of me were -46 and -50 F. That's before windchill.

I had no heat in the coop. The coop is draft free with good ventilation. I thought about heat, but my brooder bulb was burnt out and quite honestly, with the ventilation, it wouldn't have made much difference. I did find a little bit of frostbite on their combs, but not much and no toes were affected. My chickens would be out in the run as soon as the sun was up, even if it was still -25. Egg laying was slower, but that just meant fewer frozen ones.

Now the poor things are really confused. We've been +40 for the last two days. Bikini weather. Basically a 90 degree temp change in a week and a half.
climate change is b**** isn’t it.

I

climate change is b**** isn’t it.
I just wish February could make up its mind. Maybe it's just mixed up because it's such a short month, but it sure can be a crap shoot. In 1996, we hit -60 F. Other years could have a couple days that are +50 F. Thank God we don't see 110 degree variations in July.

I just wish February could make up its mind. Maybe it's just mixed up because it's such a short month, but it sure can be a crap shoot. In 1996, we hit -60 F. Other years could have a couple days that are +50 F. Thank God we don't see 110 degree variations in July.
For now we don’t....let’s hope it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom