Help Please?

They don't need heat. Ultimately, heat can cause more problems than it solves. Chickens have thick feathers and down to protect them from the cold, and each other to snuggle up with. All they need is draft-free coop. Always having light is bad for them, it interrupts their natural sleep cycle. They need darkness to tell them to settle down and sleep. An infrared light won't help, they can see infrared. They will get used to the snow, give them a little time.
They do need heat where I live from time to time. We’ve had chickens lose toes to frost bite, so we’re trying to avoid that again. I also only have one duck now, so she doesn’t have anyone to cuddle with as all the hens perch in the coop. We’ve been keeping the light off on nights above 20 degrees but when it gets colder we turn it on just to be sure. We haven’t had many issues since my post thankfully. Thanks for your response!

It gets really cold where I am
.....and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1613751950676.png

If you keep a safety distance from walls, bedding, chicken ladder, nest boxes, ceiling etc. it won't.

Depending on the wattage you purchase some 50 cm might suffice.

But you could use a heat mat or other heat source too.
Thank you! I hadn’t clicked on the picture so I didn’t actually realize what it was. Thanks for explaining anyway :)

They do need heat where I live from time to time. We’ve had chickens lose toes to frost bite, so we’re trying to avoid that again. I also only have one duck now, so she doesn’t have anyone to cuddle with as all the hens perch in the coop. We’ve been keeping the light off on nights above 20 degrees but when it gets colder we turn it on just to be sure. We haven’t had many issues since my post thankfully. Thanks for your response!
Mine just went through 12 days without getting above 0 F, with some of the nights being more than -40. How much lower, I don't know exactly because my thermometer doesn't go lower, but official reports 10 miles north and south of me were -46 and -50 F. That's before windchill.

I had no heat in the coop. The coop is draft free with good ventilation. I thought about heat, but my brooder bulb was burnt out and quite honestly, with the ventilation, it wouldn't have made much difference. I did find a little bit of frostbite on their combs, but not much and no toes were affected. My chickens would be out in the run as soon as the sun was up, even if it was still -25. Egg laying was slower, but that just meant fewer frozen ones.

Now the poor things are really confused. We've been +40 for the last two days. Bikini weather. Basically a 90 degree temp change in a week and a half.

Back
Top Bottom