Help please :)

Bs11luke

Chirping
Jan 23, 2021
Hi we have just incubated 7 duck eggs all went well with with 2 they hatched on day 32 which was long for mallard but I let it run it’s course,3 died..2 never developed but one made it all the way to the end before it died.. 12 hours later the last 3 had still not pipped externally and being day 35 I decided enough was enough and made safety holes due to the chirping becoming less and less, this is where I had to discover the first one dead fully delevoped so I decided to hatch out the remaining to myself,, the first one didn’t go to bad and he was out fairly quickly although the has not moved much since but he is chirping very loudly and frequently so I think he’s going to pull through but the 2nd egg I had to open up went differently there’s was a small amount of blood but I noticed her beak was shrink wrapped so decided to carefully carry on and eventually managed to get him out buttttt now he has a huge bulge which I’m guessing is umbilical cord but I’m worried if he’s going to be ok? This is my first time and I’ve been told 4 out of 7 eggs isn’t bad but I really want these little guys to pull thru..any advice welcome please? Will his stomach/ cord resolve itself? Thanks in advance :)
10841718-F65B-4B3A-91A6-1D212682C1E3.jpeg
48A62EB3-9D91-4473-A249-0407991BD2CC.jpeg
A313D854-3D98-4472-9E51-FC9D57D9D625.jpeg

You said 32-35 days? Duck eggs should only take about 28 days.
What was your temperature and humidity? Were your sensors calibrated?
That looks like an un absorbed yolk, one has popped so that duckling might not survive if either do.

Believe it or not they are both alive and very vocal and the temp and humidity was steady these are the last 2 eggs out of 7..2 baby are healthy and running around etc,these 2 still hadn’t hatched by day 35 nearly 36 so I helped them as the other had gave up so I didn’t want him to share the same fate..i don’t no why they went on longer then 28 maybe my incubator is not correct but that’s not relevant anymore I can’t go back in time I just want to try help these as much as possible ..they are both very much alive but not up and moving like the other 2 siblings was 2 days ago when they hatched

The black one is doing well his cord is drying up and he’s very loud but the white one seems very quiet and still even tho she’s very much alive and even gives out chirps now and then

Hi we have just incubated 7 duck eggs all went well with with 2 they hatched on day 32 which was long for mallard but I let it run it’s course,3 died..2 never developed but one made it all the way to the end before it died.. 12 hours later the last 3 had still not pipped externally and being day 35 I decided enough was enough and made safety holes due to the chirping becoming less and less, this is where I had to discover the first one dead fully delevoped so I decided to hatch out the remaining to myself,, the first one didn’t go to bad and he was out fairly quickly although the has not moved much since but he is chirping very loudly and frequently so I think he’s going to pull through but the 2nd egg I had to open up went differently there’s was a small amount of blood but I noticed her beak was shrink wrapped so decided to carefully carry on and eventually managed to get him out buttttt now he has a huge bulge which I’m guessing is umbilical cord but I’m worried if he’s going to be ok? This is my first time and I’ve been told 4 out of 7 eggs isn’t bad but I really want these little guys to pull thru..any advice welcome please? Will his stomach/ cord resolve itself? Thanks in advance :)View attachment 2558385View attachment 2558386View attachment 2558387
I am not sure how the pros do it. Trust me there are plenty on here, but if you have proper heat and humidity. Just let nature take it’s course. If you are opening up your incubator to early. Chances are the membrane is hardening since there is not enough moisture. Also it is probable that it makes it harder for them to break the shell. I am guessing the shell would get a little harder without enough moisture.
At least you care enough to ask and I think that’s important. Just learn from your mistakes and you will have great hatches before you know it.

I am not sure how the pros do it. Trust me there are plenty on here, but if you have proper heat and humidity. Just let nature take it’s course. If you are opening up your incubator to early. Chances are the membrane is hardening since there is not enough moisture. Also it is probable that it makes it harder for them to break the shell. I am guessing the shell would get a little harder without enough moisture.
At least you care enough to ask and I think that’s important. Just learn from your mistakes and you will have great hatches before you know it.
Thank you like I say 2 did successfully hatch and they are happy healthy little things but I just hope these to pull thru and are able to join them..heat and humidity was pretty constant but as stated above I now no I might have been better making sure it was accurate before starting incubation

Thank you like I say 2 did successfully hatch and they are happy healthy little things but I just hope these to pull thru and are able to join them..heat and humidity was pretty constant but as stated above I now no I might have been better making sure it was accurate before starting incubation
It’s ok and your welcome. I have made the same mistake in the past. It’s how we learn.

Both of them..
The lighter-colored one did not absorb its yolk. Some people have had them finish absorbing I never have been able to save one. The black one has a better chance. Can you get a picture of the black one's cord and I will tell you where to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom