Help please!

Michael8427

Chirping
Feb 28, 2021
I have 4 Brahmas and they are about about 1 month old, one of them just stopped walking , she is eating and drinking fine but she just lays in the same stop all day, I haven’t noticed any signs of anything both of her legs seem to extend all the way without pain, but just a minute ago I picked her up and tons of saliva came out of her mouth, this has never happened and I really don’t want all my chickens getting sick of that is what this is , any ideas ?

I can't tell from the photos, but does she have any swelling in the toes or feet or legs?

Unfortunately, these symptoms can be from any number of disorders, from relatively simple and easily treated to very serious and deadly.

Things you can treat for are stress, hypothermia, or dehydration by giving her some electrolytes with sugar water. If she revives, then it was likely one of those. She could also have a respiratory illness called Mycoplasma synoviae, so you could get some Tylan or Tylosin and treat her with that and the symptoms may improve.

If she declines, gets worse, can't hold her head up and eat, she might have an avian virus, Marek's or Leucosis. Those are not treatable and would have consequences for your entire flock.

I've been treating three pullets for similar symptoms and recently learned from having a necropsy on one of them that she had avian leucosis which caused misery throughout her little body including her brain, accounting for her lack of balance and paralysis. Necropsy is about the only way to know for sure what is going on with your chick, but try those treatments before jumping to the conclusion it's the worst scenario.

I am very suspicious of Mareks disease. When you try to stand her up, does she have trouble balancing and then sit back down? Did she suddenly lose the ability to stand/walk, or has it be a progression to this point over a few days?

The drool may've just been a reaction to you picking her up. If it was clear, it was probably just a little regurgitated saliva and water.

Read through this article and see if any of these symptoms sound familiar. If they do, carefully read the rest of the article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

If it is not Mareks but some kind of respiratory issue or other airborne bug, it would be best to isolate her from the others to prevent it from spreading.

If it is Mareks, they have all been exposed and you will just need to watch all of them closely for more symptoms.

I can't tell from the photos, but does she have any swelling in the toes or feet or legs?

Unfortunately, these symptoms can be from any number of disorders, from relatively simple and easily treated to very serious and deadly.

Things you can treat for are stress, hypothermia, or dehydration by giving her some electrolytes with sugar water. If she revives, then it was likely one of those. She could also have a respiratory illness called Mycoplasma synoviae, so you could get some Tylan or Tylosin and treat her with that and the symptoms may improve.

If she declines, gets worse, can't hold her head up and eat, she might have an avian virus, Marek's or Leucosis. Those are not treatable and would have consequences for your entire flock.

I've been treating three pullets for similar symptoms and recently learned from having a necropsy on one of them that she had avian leucosis which caused misery throughout her little body including her brain, accounting for her lack of balance and paralysis. Necropsy is about the only way to know for sure what is going on with your chick, but try those treatments before jumping to the conclusion it's the worst scenario.
I really hope it is not myosplasma, like 4 or 5 months ago I had a flock that got this and everyone said to cull them and I hated it and I gave them to a farmer I know who did it and I sanitized with bleach and I let it all sit for months and then I started a new flock and I really hope it’s not that,

I don’t see any swelling and I have noticed that my brahmas like to sit but all the others do walk a lot unlike her , she never moves, when I pick her up and put her feet on the ground it’s like she doesn’t try she just falls down

Back
Top Bottom