HELP PLEASE!!

Roughdiamond

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
Is there anyone out there with experience of rearing abandoned peachicks? One of my peahens hatched one chick two weeks ago. She hatched it in near by fields and brought it back. I went to check on them in the garden this afternoon and the chick was hiding in grasses. The hen was wandering near by. Thinking they'd lost eachother I put the chick next to mummy...and she attacked it 😲 The poor little thing was attempting to follow mum but each time it got close the peahen pecked it and walked off. In 15 years I have never seen this behaviour and have no experience of rearing a peachick, the peahens have always hatched & raised their own brood. This is a first hatch for a young inexperienced peahen. I tried slipping it in with a mother hen (chicken)and her chicks but she also attacked it. I now have the chick under a borrowed heat lamp in the house and it is calling for it's mother. I'm so stressed about this! Will it die without it's mother? Can anyone offer any advice please?

Is there anyone out there with experience of rearing abandoned peachicks? One of my peahens hatched one chick two weeks ago. She hatched it in near by fields and brought it back. I went to check on them in the garden this afternoon and the chick was hiding in grasses. The hen was wandering near by. Thinking they'd lost eachother I put the chick next to mummy...and she attacked it 😲 The poor little thing was attempting to follow mum but each time it got close the peahen pecked it and walked off. In 15 years I have never seen this behaviour and have no experience of rearing a peachick, the peahens have always hatched & raised their own brood. This is a first hatch for a young inexperienced peahen. I tried slipping it in with a mother hen (chicken)and her chicks but she also attacked it. I now have the chick under a borrowed heat lamp in the house and it is calling for it's mother. I'm so stressed about this! Will it die without it's mother? Can anyone offer any advice please?
you could try getting some chicks from tractor supply to keep it company.

If you have chicks put 2 of them with your Peachick. I would also put a mirror in the brooder area so it can see itself.
It could be difficult but can you get another Peachick to keep it company too?

Back
Top Bottom