Help please

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
Hey! One of my chickens tonight was sitting in the nesting box and she pooped a bit of poop and some clear stuff. There was a dot of red which looked like intestinal casting. She is an ISA brown 2 years old, any idea if there is an issue?

Check her crop tonight, is it full or partially filled with solid food or is it mostly water? Her poo is not automatically indicating a problem, but it could be a subtle cue of a problem. Feel her crop tonight if it's full, and again tomorrow night. If you notice appetite loss, loss of energy, or lethargy, she may need anti-cocci medicine. I see those types of poos every day and maybe make some diet changes (increase protein), but so far haven't had to treat for diseases for a while.

Check her crop tonight, is it full or partially filled with solid food or is it mostly water? Her poo is not automatically indicating a problem, but it could be a subtle cue of a problem. Feel her crop tonight if it's full, and again tomorrow night. If you notice appetite loss, loss of energy, or lethargy, she may need anti-cocci medicine. I see those types of poos every day and maybe make some diet changes (increase protein), but so far haven't had to treat for diseases for a while.
Yeah, good idea. I felt it and it had food and tommorow I was gonna pick up some Corid to treat for cocci. Maybe worms also?

For a two year old hen that is eating normally and not losing weight, worms aren't causing problems. But you could treat her with worms if you haven't for a while, sometimes it is good to treat every few months symptoms or no symptoms. I like to treat worms before doing any antibiotics or other medicines to eliminate the possibility. So yes, you could treat her for worms too if you havent ever treated her. If you are going to start corrid, probably good idea to worm first.

Back
Top Bottom