...help PLEASE

Winter shouldn't be a problem. My ducks have a covered pen and a hutch inside the covered pen. Guess where they spent their time during the day in the winter?
1002243mu4.jpg

1002437.jpg

Yup. Out in the snow
tongue.png

Like my hubby tells me when I worry about the ducks being out in the cold...
"Relax! They are made of DOWN you goober!"

i have 2 ducks as pets and i love them!!!!!!!!! But you have to have water for them to swim in ok??? One of those baby swimming pools they sell every summer works fine and there cheep too!!!! My ducks eat chicken crumbles!!! And they love lettece too and tomatoes and other veggies!! Dont worry about the winter they love it!!!!!!!

I use a large plastic airline dog crate with the gate on it to lock my four ducks up in at night. They are still young, so I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the fenced in area only. It has an open top, and I worry about owls, as we hear them at night. The two Muscovey drakes do stay out at night, if they feel like it. I used to lock them up when they were younger, but now they are full grown they do not want to be caged. I tried and tried and it was such an ordeal to lock them in their crates at night, that I just gave up. But, if their attacks on me are anything to go by, they can hold their own pretty good. They have a crate and an open hutch with a covered top that they can sleep in, if they want to.

Anyway, the young ones all go in the dog crate at night. They are 4 1/2 months old, and not very big yet, although they have grown ALOT the last few weeks since I got them.

I have found that putting them up at night in the large dog crate is easy, and works well (for them, anyway). It took me about two nights to train them. Now, I just go out and blow my duck call horn and tell them Nite Nite duckies, and they all four troop into the crate so I can close and lock the door. I do not give them food or water at night in the crate and they seem to be fine. First sign of daylight, I let them out in the mornings, and they go right to their pool and food dish. But, they are thriving, so I guess all is well. I also wash out their crate with the hose every morning, as four ducks can mess it up pretty badly with all that poop! It's easy, though. Washes right out.

Good luck with your ducks! They reallly are alot of fun.

Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom