help.........please..........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 13, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    I need help i saw my hen run after a bunch of crickets and after the rest of my chickens realized theres crickets in the run they where almost gone..................................................Can i feed bought crickets from the fishing store to them.Or do the crickets have some kind of harmful pesticides on them or some kind of attractive chemical on them to help catch fish that will hurt my chickens.......please help.......

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the birds should be fine. If the crickets don't harm fish I don't think it will bother the birds. I know the crickets at our feed/bait store are all natural. I think the fish are more attracted to movement than anything else with the cricket.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Feed store here has crickets that people have raised (dont know how dont ask) And sold to them. Feed store crickets sould be just fine.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you i agree and god bless........My hens sure do love crickets:drool

5. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    That's my hens favorite treat! Altho they don't get them very often, because I have to collect them out of the box they are raised in ....ugggg. Not to mention the fact that they only eat 1 out of every 3! Crickets are smart... they get out of that run QUICK [​IMG] but it is hilarious watching the hens trying to catch them. The Roo... well, he is simply above such demeaning behavior LOL

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    its the same thing with mealworms its like chicken candy.

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Hatching crickets is a lot like a brooder. Have a deep plastic bin, cut out top, put metal screen on. Put newspaper down, chicken scratch for food, a damp sponge (or babies will drown). Empty egg cartons for them to hid in. A bowl of sand, dirt, peat moss etc, for the adults to lay their eggs in (kept moist by spray bottle). I have successfully hatched baby crickets but my problem is keeping them alive until they are adults.

Pet stores carry crickets to feed pets, such as lizards and turtles. So I doubt very much that they have anything harmful on them.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

rooster brandon, when you post these threads, could you make your title more descriptive. It's difficult to tell what the subject is from most of your titles and you'll get answers faster if you have an actual subject other than "please help". [​IMG] Thanks!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One of the Dirty Jobs segments with Mike Rowe was on raising crickets for sale. He did one on meal worms too. From those segments, there were no chemicals added. Those crickets and mealworms should be very safe as long as hey are still alive.

10. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    any pet store should carry crickets also (in small and large sizes) as you can probably tell by my signature, crickets are a must around here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by