Help please!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandydoodle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am concerned for the other chicks, vitamin deficiency. I had 3 out of 15 with leg problems, I think it might of been from a deficiency. One passed and I am not sure if the other two make it or not. Should I start all the chicks, even the healthy ones on vitamin water??? If the chicks have a deficiency does that mean my hens have one or could the deficiency have come from the father???? Is there something different I should do as far as how I feed my hens??? I feed then Layena crumbles, they free range for about 2 hours about 4 hours a week. I give them scraps of fruit and wheat (tortilla shells and bread etc.) when I have it. If someone could please help me with these questions I would really appreciate it. I don't want anyone else to start slipping away.

Thanks,
    MIchelle [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Please help!!!!!!!!!!! Should I start all the chicks on vitamins. I am really scared they are gonna start going down hill too.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Can anyone help me???? Please at least let me know if you think I should start the rest of the babies on vitamins and my hens. [​IMG]

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I would go ahead and do the vitamins. Get Sav A Chick if you can. I hope they don't have something more serious but what can you do about it now but wait and see? You are feeding them chick starter right? That has some antibiotic in it. Some babies have something called splay leg (I think it's called) where they can't get both feet under themselves and I've seen something here about dealing with that. You could start the vitamins and then inquire about a leg splint if they have splayed legs. You could look into vaccinations (I can't see them having something like Marek's before they even come out of the shell). Anyway, keep us posted. Maybe you should post some pictures. You might get more help that way. I don't know anything about slipped tendons though, how would you know?

5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I edited my question, maybe if it is not so long I will get more help. [​IMG] I thought knowing the details was important but, maybe thats why I was getting help to much to read. I thought it was splay leg to begin with but, after reading a lot of different posts on here I realized they actually have a slipped tendon. The leg won't go strait neither will the toes and the hock gets swollen and is flat on the back instead of feeling the way it is suppose too. I have tried to put the tendon back in like they say and all but, I have never done it before and I am obviously not doing it right because, they aren't getting any better. I still have them wrapped in the vet tape but, I don't think it is helping. I will probably have to cull, I really don't want too. I don't know what else to do though. If it is caused by a vitamin deficiency I don't want the others to start going down hill too. I am kind of scared to start them on the vitamins though for fear of doing it wrong. I don't want to hurt the healthy ones either. I have never gave vitamins before I am kind of scared. [​IMG]

Quote:

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    there is something i put in all my chicks water its called rooster booster it has Electros and vitamins and somethng else that i cant think of what it is right now.. it comes in a little white plastic jar. comes in handy..

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Give them a chance and get the Sav A Chick, Rooster Booster, or Poly Vi Sol (without the Iron) going. What have you got to lose? The vitamins won't hurt. I don't know why so many would wind up with a slipped tendon (and it's not contageous). Makes me think it's something systemic like a vitamin deficiency (maybe disease but I don't think so).

8. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the vitamins. I've been confounded by the chick leg problems too. I don't hatch out anymore like I used to, but I seem to get all my sister's bum leg birdies. Sometimes you can get the slipped tendon to go back in place by the weight of the legs if you hang the chick in a "chick chair." I know that it's in a thread somewhere, and if not then searches for that phrase on the net will come up with instructions. You have to keep them in the little chair for a few days, longer if they are older. If you don't feel the taping is doing the trick, check out the chick chair. I just did a naked neck peep whose bum leg stuck straight out to the side and foot twisted & who was left like that for 5 days before she was brought to me. A little over a week in the chair with daily free exercise on her poor hobbled legs did the trick. She walks with a wide stance now, but at least she walks with both legs, and she didn't need culled. If you're not into culling and think the tape isn't doing it, you may want to consider this option.

9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am doing the vitamins, I started today. The leg won't fix with vitamins alone right??

Quote:

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I don't want to cull. I will try the chair tomorrow. Do I keep the leg bandaged??? I just feel like I am torturing them. I keep trying these things people are suggesting but, I just feel like I am hurting them. I will try the chair though. As far as my other chicks go, do we think they are endanger of something going wrong they have the same parents???

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by