help please!

Victoria 1880

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 19, 2012
I am posting this again because I'm not sure if the first post was seen by anyone.
I need advice regarding 2 peafowl that are not mine but I have been trying to help them for close to a year now. First of all, I have to be careful not to loose my job....

They are somewhere between 6-10 years old and have only ever been fed turkey grower. Last Sept after a couple of months of (me) complaining, the owner agreed to change the feed to wild game grower, which is the best we can get here. These birds get no greens, no grit, nothing. Fresh water is not always provided either. I am constantly arguing with the powers that be.

The peafowl have been very listless for several months now. The coop door is open all winter allowing cold air to blow in, from what I am able to see there is a little hay for bedding. I think this was corrected last week after I complained again.

They saw the vet in July 2012 and I was told by the owner that the vet was pleased with their condition.

A few weeks ago I started taking food to them, lettuce, sunflower seeds, celery, banana's. It wasn't long before they recognized my voice and came running out of the coop for their snack. Sadly, I have been told not to feed them as I may be harming them (since I am not a peacock expert).

Here are some pictures I took of them last week. The male looks the worse. He has no 'crown' and the top of his head is bald. You will notice he looks burnt. Apparently this was caused by a hot lightbulb ( hanging without a protector) and during the cold spell a while back the peacock scorched his feathers trying to stay warm. I can't tell if they have parasites. But I do know they have never been dewormed or deliced.

Any advice? Anyone?

people make me so mad
somad.gif
when they don't take proper care of their animals.thank you for looking out for them.wished i could be more help to you.

Try posting this in the peafowl thread as people there will have more specific information on peacocks. I have no experience with them but so glad to hear you are trying to save them!!

Sounds like they don't know much about peafowl either.Nutritionally they are lacking. Peafowl need a high protein diet,greens,and they can eat the same fruits and veggies as chickens. They also need a large pen to roam around in. Since I house mine with my chickens, it's impossible to give them separate game bird feed. I supplement their diet daily with cat food "treat". Peafowl adore cat food. It can be the cheapest on the market. Cat food is high in protein and supplements their diet very nicely. I obtained my cock bird last year from a person who free ranged him with access to chicken feed.Since being on this diet,his feathers are much more beautiful, his tail is huge! Considering this person has exposed heat lamps and the bird was badly burnt and (?) not treated, I would consider an anonymous report to the local humane society.

thank you for the advice...if I thought I could make a report anonymously I would..I think my best bet is to convince the owner to take better care of them

Back
Top Bottom