Help please

Spammie

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
I have gone out to my coop every morning for the last 4 mornings and had a dead chicken. They are all up and moving and eating the day before and gone the next. Not seeing any signs of predators. Please help.

Have you checked your coop for any way a predator could get inside? Do the chickens have any symptoms of illness such as diarrhea, blood in the stools, large hard crop, sneezing, etc? What condition is the body in--any missing parts, wound?

There are no signs of wounds to them. There is no place in the pen/coop a predator such as a fox or coon could have gotten in.

We don't have a lot to go on here to help.
How old, what kind, what are you feeding them(oyster shells etc too), any recently added new chicks to the flock, free range/or not, are they laying the same amount of eggs or has there been a drop off recently, are eggs normal looking, and like Eggcessive asked, what do the stools look like, what does the crop's feel like/Vent too? Look at their combs for blueish coloration. If it were me, I'd sit and watch at duskish for the most lethargic or offish hen, bring her inside that night, feel her over head to toe, look down throat, and observe her movements, behavior and get a good look at the stool. If not sure on what stool should look like, take picture and post here. or there is a site for poo pictures to compare. Make notes of any scratching or lethargic behavior. Make note any smallest change you have made or odd behavior with the hens such as not wanting to coup PM or setting in nest a lot, sneezing, gasping, wheezing, fluids, shaking head, etc. Have you recently given any of them meds or worming, if so what and how much and why?

Back
Top Bottom