HELP, PLEASE

wdeployedwife1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Crossville, TN
I received my chicks Tuesday, and everyone has been fine, eating, drinking, playing. However, this morning one wasn't acting right; and when I picked her up, her butt was really red and swollen. There wasn't any poop on her, though. I have out a partition between her and the others. I gave her some plain yogurt, and she has water with probiotic and antibiotic in it. She starts chirping like she's in pain; and so far, she popped, but it was somewhat firm. There is a watery liquid coming out also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Here is a pic.

Im not sure what that is. Its never happened to me or any of my chicks. Im very sorry. Perhaps you should consider bringing her to a vet? It could be something simple. I doubt this is it, but...sometimes, and this happens often with goats, horses, particularly cows; sometimes the internal vaginal area "pops" out, and can be pushed back in. This might not be the case, but Im not sure, and if it is the case, which I don't think so, but if it is, a professional should do it. First, though, you should see if it fades. If not, I recommend bringing her to a vet, most definitely.
Keep me posted!

The chick may be constipated or it may have a slight prolapse. I would lubricate the opening of the vent with a little olive oil and a QTip. Applying some honey or Preparation H ointment may help decrease the swelling. Make sure the chick drinks lots of fluids by dipping it's beak in water all day today, in case it is constipated. Observe for any further tissue coming out, and I would get some gentian violet from the first aid aisle of Walmart or some blue food coloring and apply it to the vent so that the chicks don't peck at the red tissue. Here are some links to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/351494/please-help-with-my-chicks-prolapsed-vent
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857614/help-prolapsed-vent-chick

I'm going to say this is a vent prolapse. It should be pushed back in with maybe a lubricated qtip or something? you can also use preparation H. Just don't use anything with anything ending in "caine" in the ingredients.

She is doing very poorly, so my husband is going to have to put her out of her misery. I have done the Vaseline and soaked her in warm water, but no luck. I have made the decision to have my husband put her down. Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. :(

Back
Top Bottom