Help please!

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
Okay so last night I lost basically all of my flock ( here is what happened ) And because I was planning on hatching eggs from them I have a used Farm Innovators still air incubator with an egg turner(and no I cannot buy a new one right now). I've never used it before I plan one using the dry method because I would be harder for me to mess up. So this a one shot deal, any tips or advice?

Oh and I know that this is not hatching related. But I have roo who is missing all but one of his tail feather and all(?) of his lower back feathers. He has all of his skin other then around the tail area he is missing just a little bit. What can I do to help him? And I am not one to cull my birds. So unless he is on deaths door that will not be an option.

Last edited:
Is the roo injured from the dog? (sorry you lost so many by the way) You could use neosporin without pain medication. Other than that keep it clean, you can wrap it with vet wrap to keep dirt out if its an open wound. In time his feathers should grow back. If he seems otherwise healthy I don't see any reason to cull him.

To help with feather regrowth he'll need some protein. You can give him protein rich foods or theirs a "feather fixer" feed out there too. He may not fully regrow feathers until his next molt so don't panic. :) Good luck.

No, he was not. It looks like she got a mouth full of feathers. But otherwise he is fine. I think he might have shock though.

I will try to get a picture soon.

Thank you.

Ok, another thing you could use besides neosporin is blue kote. That would help if he's still with the others. It will deter them from pecking at his raw spots.

He will only be with the remaining hen. And because of the cold I'm going to put a heat lamp up for them, it has a red bulb if that helps like most people say it does.

Red bulb should work. I have one for ours in winter and they seem to do alright. Just make sure it stays clear of anything flammable and you should be good to go.

I was planning on hatching eggs from them I have a used Farm Innovators still air incubator with an egg turner(and no I cannot buy a new one right now). I've never used it before I plan one using the dry method because I would be harder for me to mess up. So this a one shot deal, any tips or advice?
I did the dry method on my last hatch, and I will probably stick with that method for any other hatches I do. Advice: Still air temps 101-102 degrees F. Use at least two thermometers so you know you are in the same range (I use three). Make sure you have a hygrometer even if you are doing dry hatch. You still need to make sure there is some humidity and you'll need it for lockdown and hatch. Keep an eye on the air cells to make sure the eggs are loosing enough, but not too much moisture during the "dry" period. And at lockdown, I filled my water wells and then added some wet sponges around the incubator. Worked great for humidity, and it was easier to just slide the sponge out, wet it and slide it back in w/o loosing the humidity in the bator. Sorry to hear about your loss and good luck on the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom